Rotterdam Off The Beaten Path Tips by Pieter11
Rotterdam Off The Beaten Path: 89 reviews and 110 photos
Warehouses Java, Borneo and Celebes
At the southside of the Wilhelminapier (towards Hotel New York and Montevideo) you will see these beautiful old warehouses Celebes, Java, Borneo and Sumatra, named after the Indonesian islands.
These buildings were constructed between 1940 and 1941 and were used as warehouses for the company "Pakhuismeesteren". Tea, nuts and seads that were taken from the East Indies, were stored here until they were shipped out again to anywhere in the world.
Today the buildings are in a very poor status and I'm afraid they might even be replaced my modern, concrete giants in a few year. A waist of these beautiful pieces of harbour-history if you ask me.
More Reviews (18)
Pieter11's Related Pages
Rotterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rotterdam, the most vibrant Dutch city !"
- "Rotterdam - Ik ben een 010er!"
- "Rotterdam: new territory for tourists"
- "Rotterdam a BIG small city"
- "Rotterdam, harbour city."
- "Rotterdam: Architecture Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotterdam
- Hotels in Rotterdam
- Transportation in Rotterdam
- Nightlife in Rotterdam
- Restaurants in Rotterdam
- Shopping in Rotterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotterdam
- 19 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Rotterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotterdam
Photos in RotterdamSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
- Euromast- 45 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Cubic Houses (Kubus woningen)- 35 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Street Scenes, Sights, and Art- 83 Reviews, 141 Photos
- Boat Tours- 26 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Museums- 71 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Old Architecture- 29 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Bridges- 36 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Blijdorp Zoo- 18 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Neighbourhoods- 29 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Delfshaven- 11 Reviews, 18 Photos
See All Rotterdam Things to Do