"Liechtenstein: the Shangri La of Europe" Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein by Pieter11
Liechtenstein Travel Guide: 478 reviews and 1,327 photos
Most of the people in the world don't know Liechtenstein and even if they do, they don't even think about going there. The few people that do visit Liechtenstein normally just enter the country, get their passport stamped and buy some poststamps, and leave again.
But during the days I spent in the country, I discovered a Liechtenstein with proud inhabitants, a beautiful old capital, a vivid social life, an own wintersport centre high in the mountains, and all over the country you cannot miss the great Alp-landscapes with spectacular view again and again.
It would be a great shame if you only visit the country to add another one to your collection. Liechtenstein is much more and offers for then enough to spend at least few days in the country!
Liechtenstein is situated in the heart of the Alps. It's locked up between Switzerland in the West and Austria in the East. The country only measures 24 by 12 kilometres which makes it one of the smallest countries in Europe.
The Eastern part of the country (about 2/3 of the surface) is dominated by high mountains. Very few people live here, but it is a beautiful area. The Western part is situated at the banks of the Rhine-river, and is relatively flat. This is the part where most of the people live and where the big money is brought in, especially by the numerous banks in the capital Vaduz.
Liechtenstein can be described as the Shangri La of Europe if you ask me. Just as the mythical "lost country of Shangri La", the country is situated in a valley where colourful flowers and tasty wine-grapes dominate. And in te Eastern part of the country you'll find another valley like this: The Saminatal in which Steg and Malbun are situated.
There is hardly any criminality registered in Liechtenstein, simply because even the biggest city in the country still only has the size of a small village. There is no army, only police. The people look happy and just like in a fairytale, the Prince lives in a castle high on a mountain top, overlooking the capital.
- Pros:Central in Europe, great nature, no criminality, beautiful capital Vaduz...
- Cons:Pretty expensive, difficult to reach with public transportation...
In Vaduz you will find quite a lot of tourist shops, most of them located at Städtle, the pedestrian area of the city.... more travel advice
Next to the Governments Building, right in front of the round-about at the Äulestrasse in Vaduz, you will see the... more travel advice
Pieter11's Related Pages
Liechtenstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liechtenstein: the Shangri La of Europe"
- "Liechtenstein, the pretty Principality"
- "Liechtenstein is a little Gem"
- "Guilty again of country collecting! Make that #54"
- "wee tiny ickle country"
- "EXPENSIVE LIECHTENSTEIN!"
- "LIECHTENSTEIN - Unique and Special"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liechtenstein
- Hotels in Liechtenstein
- Transportation in Liechtenstein
- Nightlife in Liechtenstein
- Restaurants in Liechtenstein
- Shopping in Liechtenstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Liechtenstein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liechtenstein
- 35 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Liechtenstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liechtenstein
- Posted in Travel Saint Kitts and Nevis Forum "Re: taxi from port to brimstone"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tourist Shops"
- Wrote a Review Tourist Shops in Liechtenstein Shopping
- updated a Liechtenstein Travel Page "Liechtenstein: the Shangri La of Europe"
- Commented on one of CliffClaven's Liechtenstein travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos