"Elmina, Dutch remains in Ghana" Elmina by Pieter11
Elmina Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 214 photos
Just a few kilometres west from Cape Coast, also in the Central Region, you'll find the town of Elmina. A place with a long colonial history, starting when the Portuguese built a trading base there that they called "El Mina", the mine, because of the never-ending source of resources that they got from there. Later, the Dutch took over the place and they used it as a centre for their brutal slave trade for centuries.
Today the impressive St. George's Castle still is a silent memory to that dark period. One more fort and a picturesque harbour remember of the colonial era. Elmina is an energetic place, and around its harbour there is always a lot of activity with fishermen going in and out all day long.
As far as I've seen the Ghanaian coastline, the beach at Elmina is the most beautiful part there is. At the eastside of... more travel advice
When you are visiting St. George's Castle, you have a big chance of seeing the locals in a conpletely different way.... more travel advice
Pieter11's Related Pages
Elmina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Elmina, Dutch remains in Ghana"
- "elmina castle"
- "Elmina...my favorite place on Earth!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Elmina
- Hotels in Elmina
- Transportation in Elmina
- Restaurants in Elmina
- Shopping in Elmina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Elmina
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Elmina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Elmina
Photos in ElminaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos