"Granada" Top 5 Page for this destination Granada by Pieter11
Granada Travel Guide: 387 reviews and 1,154 photos
One of the biggest cities in Nicaragua, and one of the most beautiful ones in the whole of Central America, is Granada. This city is beautifully located at the banks of the huge Nicaragua Lake; the lake that gave the city its importance throughout the centuries.
The history of Granada started in 1524, when the city was founded by the Spaniard Francisco Fernandéz de Córdoba. In these days the city was located at an important trade route that connected the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific and lead through the Lago de Nicaragua. Until the 19th century this stayed an important source of income for Granada.
Today tourism took the place of most important source of income for the city. The citycentre is a very popular destination for tourists in the region, and Granada is also a famous city to study Spanish with one of the many courses that are offered here.
In the surroundings of Granada there is even more to see and do, which make the city to a great place to stay for at least a day or 4. The interesting small archipelago of Las Isletas, the Volcanoes Mombacho and Masaya and the "Pueblos Blancos" and the Laguna de Apoyo are all well worth a visit and very close.
Even without all the churches that are supposed to be Granada's biggest attraction, just walking around the city can... more travel advice
At about an hour drive from Granada you will find the small villages named "Los Pueblos Blancos": the white villages.... more travel advice
Pieter11's Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IN LOVE WITH GRANADA"
- "Granada, Nicaragua"
- "Travel Notes from Granada, Nicaragua"
- "Granada: the colonial jewel of Nicaragua"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 18 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
Photos in GranadaSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos