"Isla de Ometepe" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Ometepe by Pieter11

Isla de Ometepe Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 485 photos

In the middle of the Lago de Nicaragua, there is a very special island that looks a bit like an eight, with the two holes in it filled up. This island, Isla de Ometepe, consists of two volcanoes that pop out of the water, together forming one big island that is completely covered by green forest.

"Ome" really is a tropical paradise. Don't expect wide, white beaches here and luxurious resorts, but think of it more like an island that you see in "Lost". It is great to make long walks, ride a bike, have a swim, or relax in an extremely peaceful environment.

And because of the fact that I heard a lot about the island already, I found it very surprising that you hardly see other tourists around here. It really is an unspoiled pearl in the centre of the lake!

• Last visit to Isla de Ometepe: Sep 2007
  • Intro Written Mar 16, 2008

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Peter, I wouldn't mind visiting all those nice places! Thanks for your story! ><><><

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I have never been to Isla de Omotepe, but will defenitly go there there when I visit Nicaragua! Great tips!

• taxing's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Thank you for the amount of detail you give. I plan to go to Nicaragua this fall, and you are helping me pick the places to go.

Pieter11

“So much of who we are is where we have been”

Badges & Stats in Isla de Ometepe

Have you been to Isla de Ometepe?