"Copán Ruinas" Top 5 Page for this destination Copán by Pieter11
Copán Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 982 photos
My first destination in Honduras, was the small village of Copán Ruinas, in the southwest corner of the country. The surroundings here are fantastic: green hills everywhere with only every now and then a small white village hidden in between them. All the time you have the feeling you are driving though one big painting.
But of course Copán is not famous for its landscape, but for the Maya ruins that are hidden in the jungle just outside the village. Most of the ruins you find here are over 1000 years old and are only recently fully released from the jungle that took back its land throughout the centuries.
The ruins in Copán are very impressive and are great for a daytrip, but it is also nice to stay in the village itself for a day. Different from what I expected, it is not completely spoiled by tourism and the atmosphere in the village is very relaxed.
In the village you see nothing but cobblestoned streets and colourful houses, and in the jungle around the town you have a good chance of spotting an even more colourful ara.
When you are visiting Copán Ruinas, and especially when you are entering the ruins, it is very likely that you will see... more travel advice
When you go further when coming from the Hieroglyphic Stairway, you will end up at the enormous stairway of the Temple... more travel advice
Pieter11's Related Pages
Copán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Greatest City of Art in the Ancient New World"
- "Copán Ruínas"
- "Copán, and Copán Ruinas"
- "Copán Ruinas"
- "Copan, The ancient Mayan Empire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Copán
- Hotels in Copán
- Transportation in Copán
- Nightlife in Copán
- Restaurants in Copán
- Shopping in Copán
- Warnings and Dangers in Copán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Copán
- 13 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Copán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Copán
Photos in CopánSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos