"Tela" Top 5 Page for this destination Tela by Pieter11

Tela Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 160 photos

After Copán Ruinas, my trip through Central America brought me to the Caribbean Coast of Honduras, to the town of Tela, at about 80 kilometres north from San Pedro Sula, one of the most important cities of the country. Tela turned out to be a very relaxed place to spend a few days.

Tela is one of the villages in this part of Central America where the Garifuna-people live: descendents of the former slaves on the Caribbean islands. These people have a strong influence on the area and give it all a very relaxed, almost African caracter.

In and around Tela there are several interesting things to see and do. Most of all, the village is popular by tourists for its long beaches, complete with palmtrees and blue Caribbean Sea. Several beach resorts offer great clean beaches and all the facilities you need for a great relaxed day of suntanning.

And when you're tired of all the suntanning, you can go for a boattrip towards the natureparks Punta Sal and Punto Izopo, or you can visit one of the few small Garifuna-villages around Tela, where you can clearly feel the "African Vibe" that still lives on here.

• Last visit to Tela: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 16, 2008

• May 6, 2009 at 9:41 PM

i too have been to a garifuna town, but in livingston, guatemala. tela looks similar, esp with the laid back vibe and seaside town. thanks for sharing!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Good page, with some interesting detail and pictures. Thank you for sharing.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I hope to stay in Tela a few days when I visit Honduras. Thanks for the tips! Hotel Marazul is not mentioned in my Lonely Planet.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Great page! Lots of interesting info - I enjoyed your insights about the Garifuna way of life especially. I'm pleased you found such a good place to stay eventually too :-)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2009 at 1:56 AM

The No-Hurry Mentality in Tela will not suit me, hehehe....I'm always in a rush! De wildernis (Punta Sal) kijkt prachtig! …

• Marpessa's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I love the photos of the pier and the parade. The accommodation tips are very helpful :).

Pieter11

“So much of who we are is where we have been”

Badges & Stats in Tela