"Tela" Top 5 Page for this destination Tela by Pieter11
Tela Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 160 photos
After Copán Ruinas, my trip through Central America brought me to the Caribbean Coast of Honduras, to the town of Tela, at about 80 kilometres north from San Pedro Sula, one of the most important cities of the country. Tela turned out to be a very relaxed place to spend a few days.
Tela is one of the villages in this part of Central America where the Garifuna-people live: descendents of the former slaves on the Caribbean islands. These people have a strong influence on the area and give it all a very relaxed, almost African caracter.
In and around Tela there are several interesting things to see and do. Most of all, the village is popular by tourists for its long beaches, complete with palmtrees and blue Caribbean Sea. Several beach resorts offer great clean beaches and all the facilities you need for a great relaxed day of suntanning.
And when you're tired of all the suntanning, you can go for a boattrip towards the natureparks Punta Sal and Punto Izopo, or you can visit one of the few small Garifuna-villages around Tela, where you can clearly feel the "African Vibe" that still lives on here.
In the 18th century, the British brought some African slaves from the island of St. Vincent to the Bay Islands, close to... more travel advice
For many of the tourists that visit Tela, the beaches are the most important reason. Long sandy beaches can be found... more travel advice
Pieter11's Related Pages
Tela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tela, Punta Izopo, and Triunfo de la Cruz"
- "Beautifully HOT"
- "TELA - HONDURAS"
- "Our Favorite Honduras Coastal Town"
- "Last trip to Tela"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tela
- Hotels in Tela
- Transportation in Tela
- Nightlife in Tela
- Restaurants in Tela
- Shopping in Tela
- Warnings and Dangers in Tela
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tela
- 19 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Tela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tela
Photos in TelaSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos