"Guatemala City" Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala City by Pieter11

Guatemala City Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 403 photos

Guatemala City was the start of my trip through Central America. It is one of the biggest cities in Central America and it doesn't have a good name in the area. "Guate" is told to be a dangerous, criminal city that you'd better skip when you want to visit the area.

At night I made a short citytour through the old centre. Here you do see some of the remote area's of the city and it is wise to make a tour like this by car and not on foot. If you do all that, Guatemala City can actually be a nice short stop on a tour through the area.

I did the same, and I only stayed in the city for two nights and a couple of hours by daylight. The rest of the time I spent in Antigua. The moment I did spent in the capital however, were not negative at all. In the modern city centre you don't see anything of the poverty and the criminality that the city is famous for, at least by daylight.

• Last visit to Guatemala City: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 29, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 3:16 AM

Hi, Peter! Thanx for your great page about your wonderful travels....

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2008 at 1:56 AM

I would feel embarrassed to sleep for free in the home of people I do not know, there must be bad surprises

• Marpessa's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 10:10 AM

As always, a great page. The people you stayed with for couchsurfing look really nice :)

• Bushman23's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Contrasts between rich and poor are unfortunately visible everywhere these days... great advice about accommodation sharing though! Ant

Pieter11

“So much of who we are is where we have been”

Badges & Stats in Guatemala City

Have you been to Guatemala City?

Latest Activity in Guatemala City