"Travel with six senses..." Pieter11's Profile
Welcome to my homepage on this wonderful medium called Virtual Tourist. A place where you can meet the most wonderful people, a place where you can dream about your future trips, a place where you can express your feelings about your past trips and to me it's a very good reason to learn more about the destinations I visit then just the random 'Oh, that looks nice'. VT keeps you dreaming, keeps you active and keeps you curious.
As probably most of the VT-members, travelling really is my passion. Although I'm only travelling for a few weeks a year, it's an important part in my life. I love the proces of searching for information before you leave. Picking out the right hotel, reading about the destinations, thinking about the routes to follow and just dream and dream and dream... And after returning from a trip another great part of the travelling rhythm follows: organising the pictures, making a nice album, reading even more about the places you've been to, and of course: updating your VT-page.
But of course the very best part of travelling is the feeling of being inside the books you've read, the movies you've seen and the dreams you've had. And the most wonderful is: in 3D everything is just even better then you could imagine. In 3D it's not only about seeing things, but about feeling, hearing, smelling and tasting the atmosphere.
Of course a very important part of travelling is the seeing part. Seeing the major attractions of a city, or seeing the wide nature of a quiet piece of land. But the most wonderful thing of all is to see the different things: the symmetry in a football stadium in Barcelona, a lonely Zambian boy at the streets of Livingstone, a brave flower in a concrete jungle of Belgrade, or the beauty of an old car wreck in Antigua Guatemala. I can really enjoy that: that makes me enjoy every single destination you can think of.
But there is so much more then seeing a destination alone. Sounds are an important part of the atmosphere you get pulled into when you visit a place. The sound of two Italians arguing passionately, of crickets at the lakeside, the sound of souvenirs tinkling in a crowded shopping street, of soundsystems in the streets of Basseterre, Saint-Kitts, or the sound or hearing nothing at all on top of Volcán Irazú in Costa Rica. Sounds can give you the wonderful feeling of rather being quiet and enjoy the atmosphere silently.
Taste is one of the most important aspects of most cultures. It is a must and a delight to get to know these aspects of the destinations you visit. Coming from the boring mashed-potatoes-eating-culture of Holland, almost every other 'cuisine' is like heaven to me. Weither it is the Hungarian Gulash, the Spanish Tapas, the Caribbean rhum- and the French wine-culture, weither it is the Malaysian Nasi Lemak or the Central American Ceviche, trying foreign food is the best thing there is.
A great thing about visiting nature is experiencing the smell. There is no better smell then the smell of fresh A shower after a dry period at the island of Grinda in Sweden, colourful spices on a market in Morocco, the smell of fresh fish at an Asian market, or even the smell of exhaust gasses produced by an old tractor in a little mountain village on Crete in Greece. These are things that can make you remember that wonderful trip you've made years ago, with your eyes closed.
Of course the feeling part is essential too when visiting a destination. It´s great to feel external feelings like a sunbeam in your face when you´re inside a beautiful church, or the wind through your hair on top of a mountain. But the best feelings are the internal feelings of kind locals. Having the feeling of being welcome in someone´s hometown, making friends with people from totally different cultures and becoming part of this culture little by little. Meeting up with the locals is the best thing you can do.
But the best thing of travelling, the sixth sence, is the dreaming part. Inspired by all the other sences: looking at a picture, hearing a certain sound, eating a foreign meal in your homecountry, the smell of a certain flower or the feeling of friendship you've developed, can bring you back to your destination in a second. By only using your imagination you can travel 365 days a year. Dreaming at night and daydreaming are the reason why travelling is so worth the money and the effort you put into it. Due to the dreaming part every single trip you make stays in your life forever. Travelling in this way isn't something for a couple of weeks a years: it's a 24/7, 365 days a year thing. A passion of six sences.
- October - December: Ghana
- January: Ireland
- April: Germany, Liechtenstein, Switzerland
- September: Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama
- December: France
- February: England (Dover, Canterbury, London)
- March/April: Morocco and Western Sahara
- April: France (Cannes)
- April/May: Italy (Florence and Pisa)
- June: Poland and Slovakia
- July: Hungary (Budapest), Serbia (Belgrade, Nis), Bulgaria (Sofia, Koprivshtitsa, Rila) and Turkey (Istanbul, Saray, Kiyiköy)
- October - December: Guadeloupe
- November: Dominica
- December: Saint-Martin, Saba, Saint Kitts and Nevis
- February: Berlin
- April: France
- July: Norway (Bergen)
- August: Portugal (Lisbon)
- September: Switzerland (Zürich)
- October: Germany (Düsseldorf)
- November: Norway (Oslo)
- December: United Arab Emirates and Oman
- January: Paris
- March: Morocco
- April: Croatia and Bosnia Hercegovina
- May: Sicily, Italy
- August: French Guiana
- December: Brazil
- January: Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay
- March: Barcelona
- April: Paris
- June: Luxembourg
- June: France
- July: Mali
- August: Portugal
- January: Chile (and Easter Island)
- May: Denmark
- July: Thailand, Vietnam
- September: Sweden (Stockholm Half Marathon)
- November: Paris
- December: Disneyland Paris
- February: Israel and Palestine
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 1,236 Reviews
- 3,436 Photos
- 31 Countries
- 80 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
- Wrote a Review Bracelet guys about Montmartre/Sacré Coeur in Paris Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hotel Douglas"
- updated a Paris Travel Page "Paris, my favorite city ever! - 16 visits so far"
- Pieter11 and mancel are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "Travel with six senses..."
- Commented on hez28's profile page
- Uploaded a Video to Jordan
- Posted in Travel Saint Kitts and Nevis Forum "Re: taxi from port to brimstone"
VideosSee All Videos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 96 reviews, 339 photos
- Paris Intro, 107 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 69 reviews, 190 photos
- Athens Intro, 62 reviews, 167 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 47 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caribbean and Central America Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Sahara Intro, 33 reviews, 113 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Tamale Intro, 26 reviews, 78 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22149 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15552 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11940 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8354 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos