"A piece of Britain in the South Atlantic" Top 5 Page for this destination Falkland Islands by Claus_Qvist
Falkland Islands Travel Guide: 243 reviews and 548 photos
Because of the Argentine invasion in 1982, everybody know about The Falkland but only very few have ever been there.
In short, The Falklands are a bit like the Faeroe Island or the Orkneys. Some tiny islands situated in an inhospiable and at the same time very rich, marine environment.
Only 2500 residents live here (together with 2000 British soldiers!), and of these 80% live in the capital, Stanley, on East Falkland. On the secon largest island, West Falkland, the population is only 400!
Traditionally, the main business on the Falklands is sheep. The ratio in between sheep and people is counted in thousands, and the Falkland wool has been famous for centuries. It still is.
In 2004, tourism has brought new life to the place as a lot of cruise ships make a short, eight-hour stop-over on their way to Antarctica. Too bad as the islands are worth much more attention than just a day of fooling around in Stanley.
Still, Stanley is a great place. Very British indeed, and despite the hostile climate, a few inhabitants find it worthwhile to decorate their gardens like back home in Kent. Just take a look at this wonderful flock of garden gnomes.
However, despite the virtues of Stanley, the real treat is to enjoy the amazing stock of wildlife in the South Atlantic. Perhaps the richest fauna anywhere on the planet.
- Pros:A magic place! Rough nature and great people living in a harmonic marriage.
- Cons:You might want to stay there the rest of your life!
- In a nutshell:Go there!!
A great way to join the Falkland way of life is to visit a farm during the sheep shearing season. Normally, they cut... more travel advice
There isn't really any "beaten path" on the Falklands, so anywhere you go, you are very likely to be the only... more travel advice
Claus_Qvist's Related Pages
Falkland Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Falkland Islands 2000-2001 & 2004"
- "Sharrie's Falkland Islands Cove"
- "The Falklands - Britain in the South Atlantic"
- "It Rains a Lot ...... Just Like Home"
- "A piece of Britain in the South Atlantic"
- "Welcome to the Falkland Islands"
- "4 months on 1312 flight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Falkland Islands
- Hotels in Falkland Islands
- Transportation in Falkland Islands
- Nightlife in Falkland Islands
- Restaurants in Falkland Islands
- Shopping in Falkland Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Falkland Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Falkland Islands
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Falkland Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Falkland Islands
Photos in Falkland IslandsSee All Photos (12)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Falkland Islands Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Afghanistan Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Tibet Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Iran Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Easter Island Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos