"I live in Kihei" Kihei by MikeMaui

Kihei Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 137 photos

Short bio

I have lived on Maui for nearly 35 years. I was a charter fishing captain for 25 of those, but I'm retired now.

I have a 6 yr. old son, a 12 yr. old daughter, a fat 10 yr. old golden retriever, an oboxious 12 year old cat, a huge mortgage, and more credit card debt than any rational person should have :)

I've lived in various areas on Maui, but have spent the past 20 in Kihei. Kihei is located on the south end of Maui. When I was in college here in '69 we used to joke about Kihei and who would ever live there because it's a dusty desert area. At that time, I could have bought the entire subdivision I live in for less than I ended up paying for my house here :-)

Kihei is like the fastest growing community in the nation right now. As such, some of the infrastructure (roads, schools, water, etc.) has not been addressed properly.

Traffic truly sucks these days. Though my wife says I only think that because I grew up on an island and that I don't really know what bad traffic is.

It's very expensive to live or visit in Kihei. However, I can't imagine living elsewhere :-)

• Pros:Great beaches and ocean views
  • Cons:bad traffic
  • In a nutshell:Why do you think I live here? :-)
  • Last visit to Kihei: Aug 2003
  • Intro Written Aug 23, 2003

• Apr 27, 2006 at 7:02 AM

Hi, Mike, we are travelling to the Kihei/Wailea area next Jan. and are worried about the weather in January. I've been reading a lot of posts that say it tends to be cloudy during Jan. Is that true? Also is the water on the "colder" side then? Thanks!

MikeMaui

“"Stop working and go fishing!"”

Ranked Member