"A hommage to Thomas Hardy" Dorchester by VinceTraveller

Dorchester Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 38 photos

Visiting Dorchester (Dorset County) was my hommage to one of my all time favorite author, Thomas Hardy. His novels especially, "Tess of the Durbervilles", "Return of the Native," and "Jude, the Obscure" are still so vivid in my mind though I read them more than twenty years ago.

To this day, his thoughts as expressed in his novel, "Jude the Obscure" is a compass in which I gauge my outlook on life itself.

The Dorset County Museum has many artifacts that belonged to Thomas Hardy. His quill pens, writing desk, books, etc. are in the museum.

One must make an appointment with the curator of the museum and with a small fee, the curator will bring out more important artifacts that are not displayed for preservation. Also, to get around Dorset county to visit Max Gate, the Hardy House and the church and cemetary, one needs to hire a taxi because the roads to take you to these places have no sidewalks or walkways. One may spend between 20 - 30 pounds including tip to see all the Hardy places.

Please click on Travel Tips above for more pictures.

Thomas Hardy's Birthplace

This thatched-roof house is the birthplace of Thomas Hardy. Not far from here is Max Gate, the house Thomas Hardy himself designed.

Hardy Family Gravesite

Brie and I took a cab to the church where Thomas Hardy and his ancestors are buried. Actually, Thomas Hardy's ashes is buried at Westminster Abbey while his heart is buried at this cemetary in Dorchester.

• Last visit to Dorchester: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 17, 2003

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2006 at 8:30 AM

Hello Vincent! Lovely page on Dorchester. I was there many years ago and loved it. I was a young woman when I read Tess and it made a great impression on me. Happy birthdya from Finland!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2004 at 3:11 AM

Very interesting - someone out there cares!

VinceTraveller

“The World is Beautiful”

Badges & Stats in Dorchester

Have you been to Dorchester?

Friends