"A hommage to Thomas Hardy" Dorchester by VinceTraveller
Dorchester Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 38 photos
Visiting Dorchester (Dorset County) was my hommage to one of my all time favorite author, Thomas Hardy. His novels especially, "Tess of the Durbervilles", "Return of the Native," and "Jude, the Obscure" are still so vivid in my mind though I read them more than twenty years ago.
To this day, his thoughts as expressed in his novel, "Jude the Obscure" is a compass in which I gauge my outlook on life itself.
The Dorset County Museum has many artifacts that belonged to Thomas Hardy. His quill pens, writing desk, books, etc. are in the museum.
One must make an appointment with the curator of the museum and with a small fee, the curator will bring out more important artifacts that are not displayed for preservation. Also, to get around Dorset county to visit Max Gate, the Hardy House and the church and cemetary, one needs to hire a taxi because the roads to take you to these places have no sidewalks or walkways. One may spend between 20 - 30 pounds including tip to see all the Hardy places.
Please click on Travel Tips above for more pictures.
This thatched-roof house is the birthplace of Thomas Hardy. Not far from here is Max Gate, the house Thomas Hardy himself designed.
As Brie and I strolled the streets of Dorchester, we happened upon an ancient Roman ruin. Supposedly it was a homestead... more travel advice
VinceTraveller's Related Pages
Dorchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful Village of Dorchester-on-Thames"
- "A hommage to Thomas Hardy"
- "Dorchester on Thames, actually.............."
- "County town of Dorset"
- "Dorchester: Overlooked Little Burg"
- "The Maggots"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dorchester
- Hotels in Dorchester
- Transportation in Dorchester
- Restaurants in Dorchester
- Shopping in Dorchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Dorchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dorchester
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Dorchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dorchester
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Bath Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Prague Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Capri Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Tivoli Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Dorchester Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Budapest Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Munich Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos