"Katahdin - Appalachian Trail's Northern Teminus" Top 5 Page for this destination Millinocket by jackfruit
Millinocket Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 21 photos
Elevation: 5267', 1605m
Range: Longfellow Mountains, part of the Appalachian Mountains
Country: United States
Nearest Towns: Millinocket, 22 miles SE
Ownership: Baxter State Park
Latitude: 45° 54' N
Longitude: 68° 55' W
Situated in Northern Maine, Mt. Katahdin (5267ft) is Maine's most famous mountain, and means "Sacred Mountain" in the local Indian tongue. Mt. Katahdin lies within the Baxter State Park in Maine and can be accessed by road from Millinocket, Maine. Because of the restricted day use laws in Baxter State Park, you have to get there very early (as early as 4:00am on busy weekend days in the summer) to get a day use permit.
This mountain is famous for it's Knife Edge trail which is a ridge trail about 3-4 ft wide at it's widest and has sheer drops from 800-3000 ft on either side. So this is not for the faint of heart. This trail is a 1.1 mile exposed ridge between Baxter Peak and Pamola Peak, in the saddle area of Katahdin.
The Helen Taylor (named for a former superintendent of the park) trail is the most popular,and parking for this trail is at Roaring Brook. Once this one fills up (and it does very early), you will be directed to other possible trailheads like the Abol Ridge which we were.
Abol is the steepest trail up Katahdin and gains 4000ft elevation in under 6 miles.
We did the Abol on the way up and the Knife Edge to Helen Taylor on the way down.
There is a hiker's log at Roaring Brook Campground that keeps track of hiker traffic on the mountain.
- Pros:Do the Abol Trail to the summit and Knife Edge back! Challenging and breathtaking views!!
- Cons:Wake yourself up at 4am or earlier to get to Togue Pond Gatehouse to stand a chance of making it in!!
- In a nutshell:She makes you work for it, but its worth it every step of the way!!
jackfruit's Related Pages
Millinocket Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KFAnder: Millinocket, Maine"
- "BEAUTY EVERYWHERE THE EYE CAN SEE"
- "Katahdin - Appalachian Trail's Northern Teminus"
- "china-girl's new Millinocket page"
- "sbrookes's new Millinocket Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Millinocket
- Hotels in Millinocket
- Transportation in Millinocket
- Nightlife in Millinocket
- Warnings and Dangers in Millinocket
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Millinocket
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Millinocket?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Millinocket
Photos in MillinocketSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ngorongoro Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Granada Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Beach Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Serengeti National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cologne Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moshi Intro, 6 reviews, 2 photos