"Cologne - Home of Germany's famous 'Dom' Cathedral" Cologne by jackfruit
Cologne Travel Guide: 1,647 reviews and 4,297 photos
From the Roman times, Cologne (German Köln) has been a major religious and trading center. It's vantage point on the Rhine and on the overland route between Paris and Germany, made it a thriving bordertown. The first Christian Emperor Constantine made "Colonia" the center of a archbishopric. During the middle ages, the city regained it's holy status when the relics of the Magi were brought from Milan and the cathedral was built to house them. In the 18th century, the French made the city famous by exporting it's "Aqua" and dubbing it "Eau de Cologne". Completly destroyed by the WWII bombs, most of the city had to be reconstructed in the later half of the 20th century. Koln today remains the capital of Germany's Rhineland.
I arrived in Koln by the Thalys from Brussels. It was a quick 2 1/2 hr trip. Even though it was early April and the weather was a bit nippy, the city was bustling with foot traffic and nightlife.
- Pros:Easily explored on foot; awe inspiring cathedral
- Cons:Touristy and crowded
- In a nutshell:Wonderful flavor of a German Medieval town
The official Cologne map from the Tourist Center is one of the best I have found. You can download it in pdf format and... more travel advice
jackfruit's Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- "Cologne under Construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 8 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ngorongoro Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Granada Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Beach Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Serengeti National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cologne Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moshi Intro, 6 reviews, 2 photos