"Lake Manyara - Safari Gem of the Rift Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park by jackfruit
Lake Manyara National Park Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 118 photos
Lake Manyara National Park is situated in the Rift Valley area of Northeastern Tanzania and about a 3 hour drive (200 kms) from Arusha. The National Park has spectacular wildlife to view. The landscape varies with the terrain here - from the rift escarpment to the lake. In the tall trees of the ground water forest monkeys leap from branch to branch, on the slope of the escarpment elephants stand in the shade of a baobab. In the acacia woodland lions lie draped along the branches of umbrella trees, in the pools along the lake shore the hippos wallow, and in the lake itself wade colorful flamingos.
From Arusha, the last village you pass through before approaching the National Park is Mto wa Mbu (Mosquito Creek). It's a quiet little village with a few shops, houses, etc. There are a few hotels here that you can stay at for your safari, but I recommend the Lake Manyara Hotel situated on the rift escarpment. From here, you climb uphill past the park gate, to get to the main safari hotels (touristy but of better quality than those found in Mto). The rift valley wall looms ahead of you and the drive is simply spectacular with the mosaic of the Lake Manyara National Park spread below you.
Spread out over approximately 330 square kilometers, the Lake Manyara National park is a great place to visit. In a day trip to the park, you have the opportunity to view a lot of varied wildlife, from monkeys to flamingos. We werent lucky enough to see the rare tree climbing lions that this park is famous for, but everything else was there to be seen and photographed!
- Pros:Great opportunities to view wildlife (African Elephant, Zebra, Giraffe, Impala, Hippo and different species of monkeys are plentiful); Tree climbing lions can be seen if you are lucky!
- Cons:Dusty roads, so be prepared for it!
- In a nutshell:Lots of photo taking opps here!
This is a wonderful safari hotel built during the days of Nyerere and is still holding up! Spacious rooms with roomy... more travel advice
jackfruit's Related Pages
Lake Manyara National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The tree climbing lions of Lake Manyara"
- "Lake Manyara - Safari Gem of the Rift Valley"
- "Lake Manyara - much water in a dry country"
- "Lake Manyara National Park"
- "Lake Manyara"
- "I wish one can get near the lake!"
- "Was that the lake then?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Manyara National Park
- Hotels in Lake Manyara National Park
- Nightlife in Lake Manyara National Park
- Shopping in Lake Manyara National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Manyara National Park
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Lake Manyara National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Manyara National Park
- Posted in Travel Prague Forum "Re: Vinohradské vinobraní"
- Commented on one of a5floor's Lake Manyara National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review African artifacts in Lake Manyara National Park Shopping
- updated a Lake Manyara National Park Travelogue "Safari in Lake Manyara - A Photo Journal"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Safari in Lake Manyara - A Photo Journal"
Photos in Lake Manyara National ParkSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ngorongoro Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Granada Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Beach Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Serengeti National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cologne Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moshi Intro, 6 reviews, 2 photos