"Ngorongoro Crater - Eighth Wonder of the World?!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ngorongoro by jackfruit
Ngorongoro Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 484 photos
The Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA) covers some 8,300 square kilometers in northern Tanzania. It boasts of the finest blend of landscapes, wildlife, people and archaeological sites in Africa. It is also a pioneering experiment in multiple land use where the nomatic pastoral Maasai grow crops and live amongst the wildlife of the region.
Ngorongoro Crater is part of the NCA. The landscape of Ngorongoro is shaped by rifts and volcanoes. Ngorongoro Crater is in fact a caldera, not a crater. A crater is a volcanic depression. A caldera is a form of crater that is formed by the collapse of the volcanic mountain. Ngorongoro caldera was created by a volcanic collapse of the mountain that stood there a few million years ago, the height of which can be imagined today by staring at the steep crater walls. It is the world's largest caldera that has remained unflooded.
Today, the crater hosts a spectacular array of wildlife, the most famous of them being the elusive Rhino. If you are lucky, you will spot one or more of the 18 remaining rhinos in this crater. We were lucky enough to spot a mother-baby pair!
Lions, water buffalo, zebra, elephants, thompson's gazelle and warthogs are just a few of the wildlife that call Ngorongoro thier home. Giraffe is the only animal that doesnt reside here, due to the steep walls of the caldera.
Although the Maasai arent allowed to live inside the crater boundaries, you might see maasai herdsmen in the crater during the day - Maasai are allowed to graze thier cattle in the crater for a few hours a day.
- Pros:Lots of wildlife, a rare chance to see the elusive rhino
- Cons:Can get crowded with safari tourists!
- In a nutshell:Simply breathtaking!
Because of the steep and rough roads that descend into the crater, only 4X4 vehicles are allowed access into the crater.... more travel advice
Lake Magadi is the soda lake at the center of the Ngorongoro crater. The pink line in the horizon as you approach the... more travel advice
jackfruit's Related Pages
Ngorongoro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ngorongoro Conservation Area"
- "Ngorongoro Crater - Eighth Wonder of the World?!!"
- "Ngorongoro Crater - oh, oh, oh!"
- "A Garden of Eden?"
- "Ngorongoro - Open Air Zoo"
- "A huge crater"
- "The Ngorongoro Crater"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ngorongoro
- Hotels in Ngorongoro
- Transportation in Ngorongoro
- Restaurants in Ngorongoro
- Warnings and Dangers in Ngorongoro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ngorongoro
- 9 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Ngorongoro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ngorongoro
- Posted in Travel Prague Forum "Re: Vinohradské vinobraní"
- updated a Ngorongoro Travel Page "Ngorongoro Crater - Eighth Wonder of the World?!!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Photo Safari in Ngorongoro Crater"
- Wrote a Review Safari Vehicle in Ngorongoro Transportation
- Commented on one of Rawicz's Ngorongoro travel pages
Photos in NgorongoroSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ngorongoro Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Granada Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Beach Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Serengeti National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cologne Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moshi Intro, 6 reviews, 2 photos