"My love affair with travel and adventure" jackfruit's Profile
Born and brought up on the Konkan coast of South India, I crossed continents and landed up in the US almost a decade ago in pursuit of a Master's degree and a new & exciting life.
A restless spirit always looking for adventure around every corner, a voracious reader perenially infected with the travel bug, in my armchair and otherwise, and a wannabe gourmet cook - that describes me in a nutshell!!
With the exception of Antartica, I have been lucky enough to have traveled to all the other continents, although not nearly as much as I would really like.
Some of my favorite destinations from past travels (not in any particular order) are:
1. Peru - Cusco w/Machu Pichu trek
2. San Diego, California - Perfect weather year round!
3. Tanzania - Kilimanjaro Trek and Serengeti Safari
4. Cains, Australia - Diving the Great Barrier Reef
5. Paris, France - More creme brulee and fruit tart please!
6. Mangalore, India - Not for tourists, but if you find it, you'll love it!
And of course, Boston my current homebase is my favorite hangout place. Be it delightful Italian food in the North End, or trendy stores on Newbury St, or the atmosphere at Quincy Market, or the spectacular shows in the Theater district, or simply a stroll in the Commons on a warm summer evening - beantown is simply magical!
Mangalore where I was born and lived the first two decades of my life is of course, equally magical. Warm winds off the Arabian sea, wooden fishing boats on one end of the horizon and the other end framed by the busy Mangalore harbor teeming with schooners and steamers, a city of 2 local languages spoken nowhere else (tulu and konkani), portugese mosaics in churches speaking volumes of colonization and missionaries, a local cuisine that has no culinary relation to any other neighboring regions' - well, I could go on and on!! My aim is to someday start and finish my Mangalore VT page so that everyone can enjoy the beauty of this place.
Although I miss the tropical climes of India, I love the seasonal changes that New England offers. From the colorful transformation of a wintry landscape into the lush green collage of spring, to the humid summer giving way to fall's beautiful foliage, New England is majestic in every season.
My fun goals for 2004 are to get Scuba Open Water Certified (have dived multiple times without it!!), backpack in Egypt and trek the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal.
-- written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s --
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 124 Reviews
- 211 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
- jackfruit and Terskol are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Prague Forum "Re: Vinohradské vinobraní"
- Commented on Sharrie's profile page
- Wrote a Review Alt Stadt about Old Town in Cologne Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alt Stadt"
- updated a Cologne Travel Page "Cologne - Home of Germany's famous 'Dom' Cathedral"
updated their Profile Page "My love affair with travel and adventure"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ngorongoro Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Zanzibar Island Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Granada Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Beach Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Serengeti National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cologne Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Manyara National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moshi Intro, 6 reviews, 2 photos