"MACAU" Concelho de Macau by dmirebella
Concelho de Macau Travel Guide: 687 reviews and 2,385 photos
Macau is the blending ground for Chinese and European culture.
Like HK , Macau first encoutered its first settlers, however rather than the English it was the Portuguese that first landed at the mouth of the Pearl River near Macau.
These Portuguese traders signed an agreement with the Guangzhou officials to lease the Macau Peninsula. Since Chinese were not allowed to travel aboard at the time, Macau became a major trading center in Southeast Asia; until the British took control over Hong Kong in the mid-1800.
After the decline of being a major trade post, Macau's economy didn't revive until the legalization of gambling.
Under an agreement signed in 1987 by both the Portuguese and Chinese government, Macau has now returned back into the Chinese rule. Macau, like HK is granted the "Special Administrative Region" status for 50 years - to which Macau will retain a high degree of autonomy.
My own personal insights are memorable - Macau will always be one of my favourite countries to visit -and its not because of the legal gambling either! The both times I was in Macau - I did not even step into the casino's. Rather, I tried to check out the simplicity that is Macau.
I cant really quite remember the name of this church but it is situated at the foot of the St Paul's ruins foothills. Do note however that the overall structure still retains its original columns and at any one point, only 6 ppl are allowed to actually enter the upper decks.
If you are traveling to Hong Kong, why not take a side trip to this delightful little enclave? It will be a fun and exciting detour from the quick pace of Hong Kong. Macau is only 1 hr away by Turbojet and HKD as well as the local currency Pattaca is accepted all around.
Macau may have been handed back to China but its Portugese influence still remains strong.
Located approx 65km away from HK, its made up of two islands - Taipa and Coloane.
Macau is also known to be the 'Las Vegas' of Asia - as its primary current attraction is its legal gambling and casino attraction.
- In a nutshell:Can be a bit too laidback for a city slicker - different kind of charm
Situated nearly on top of the Penha Hill - it overlooks the Praia Grande Bay and the Macau Taipa Bridge. Hotel Ritz... more travel advice
Now.. how can I leave Macau without mentioning food.. and when I talk about food.. I think EGGTARTS!! The Porteguese... more travel advice
dmirebella's Related Pages
Concelho de Macau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "M A C A U - more than just casinos"
- "Macau Challenge"
- "M A C A U"
- "LAS VEGAS OF THE ORIENT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Concelho de Macau
- Hotels in Concelho de Macau
- Transportation in Concelho de Macau
- Nightlife in Concelho de Macau
- Restaurants in Concelho de Macau
- Shopping in Concelho de Macau
- Warnings and Dangers in Concelho de Macau
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Concelho de Macau
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Concelho de Macau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Concelho de Macau
- Posted in Travel Melbourne Forum "Re: Changing Money - where is the..."
- Commented on one of dejavu2gb's Concelho de Macau travel pages
- updated a Concelho de Macau Travel Page "MACAU"
- Wrote a Review 5 star Hotel with a nice view in Concelho de Macau Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "5 star Hotel with a nice view"
Photos in Concelho de MacauSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Taipei Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Adelaide Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Rome Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Streaky Bay Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue