"Port Augusta" Port Augusta by dmirebella
Port Augusta Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 104 photos
For the uninitiated, Port Augusta is located around 400 kilometres north of Adelaide.
Pt Augusta was discovered when Matthew Flinders explored the Port Augusta area hoping to penetrate the heart of the Australian continent - to discover either a navigable river or vast inland sea. He was disappointed on both counts however.
The legendary inland sea did in fact once exist, but basically Flinders was 120 million years too late.
Having discovered no supplies of fresh water in the Port Augusta area Flinders then departed to complete his epic circumnavigation of the Australian continent and charting his name to the Australian history books..
Port Augusta has a unique geographic position - being centrally located; it makes a major service centre for travellers and freight trucks crossing to the Northern Territories as well as to Western Australia.
The freight train also crosses Pt Augusta heading towards NT and WA.
It was a very smooth ride, enhanced by the fact that I had a fabulous car
It takes approximately 4 hours to drive to Pt Augusta from Adelaide..
To get to Pt Augusta, places of interest that was passed includes Bute, Pt Wakefield,Snowtown, Redhill and Pt Pirie. However, due to the constant rain as well as I was not really sure of the route, I did not take any detours but the landscape although quite flat and arid has a certain kind of charm to it. Its hard to put the feeling into words actually. One has to be there to actually feel it.
- Pros:Quiet, laid back.
- Cons:Not a place should one want to feel a city life atmosphere, a bit rustic.
- In a nutshell:Depends on the person I guess, can be a variety of things...
As I have mentioned, Pt Augusta is a laid back 'city' with friendly folks and weather that is warmer than in... more travel advice
The Water Tower Lookout is a free tower that provides a faboulous view of Port Augusta' - ranging from its Spencer Gulf... more travel advice
dmirebella's Related Pages
Port Augusta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PORT AUGUSTA - CROSSROADS OF AUSTRALIA"
- "Port Augusta"
- "Where the “Outback Meets the Sea”"
- "Port Augusta Proud"
- "Port Augusta. Exciting."
- "Port Augusta - west or north"
- "Port Augusta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Augusta
- Hotels in Port Augusta
- Restaurants in Port Augusta
- Shopping in Port Augusta
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Augusta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Augusta
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Port Augusta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Augusta
Top 10 Pages
- Taipei Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 19 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Adelaide Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Rome Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Streaky Bay Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue