"Center of Texas history -- past and present" Top 5 Page for this destination Huntsville by der_geograf
Huntsville Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 239 photos
Huntsville is about 70 miles north of Houston. It has a population easing ever-so closer to 40,000. It is the headquarters of the Texas Department of Corrections and boasts five prisons within the city limits (one of which is the "Walls" Unit--the state penitentiary and where Texas executes its Death Row inmates), and four others in the surrounding county. In other words, it's the textbook case of a "prison industrial complex." It was also home to "Texas Hero" Sam Houston, the leader of the Texas Revolution against Mexico, and there is a 67-foot tall statue and museum honoring his life. A college bearing his name, Sam Houston State University, is also located in Huntsville, and has produced a host of notable alumni such as CBS News anchor Dan Rather.
In addition to the statue, museum, and university, Huntsville also has the Texas Prison Museum and Huntsville State Park.
- Pros:Very difficult to get lost, ample space for outdoor activities, beautiful scenery and old homes
- Cons:Historical markers are a bit difficult to find, but are worth the search. Many prisons, so a lot of 'ex-cons' ;o)
- In a nutshell:At first glance, it seems like a normal sleepy East Texas town. But it's place in Texas and world history, as the location of the Texas Death Row, adds an unexpected significance to this tiny town.
The hallmark of Sam Houston State University since its creation in 1876 was Old Main, the ornate structure at the heart... more travel advice
This park is located on the grounds of the estate of Texas hero Sam Houston, the general who commanded the Texas army in... more travel advice
der_geograf's Related Pages
Huntsville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Huntsville Page"
- "Huntsville, Home of Sam Houston"
- "Huntsville, Texas: Home of Sam Houston"
- "Center of Texas history -- past and present"
- "Search for the perfect BBQ"
- "Sam Houston's Town"
- "Huntsville, TX - more than a prison!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Huntsville
- Hotels in Huntsville
- Transportation in Huntsville
- Nightlife in Huntsville
- Restaurants in Huntsville
- Warnings and Dangers in Huntsville
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Huntsville
- 6 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Huntsville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huntsville
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Long layover options"
- updated a Huntsville Travel Page "Center of Texas history -- past and present"
- Wrote a Review Ruins of Old Main -- Huntsville's Pompeii in Huntsville Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ruins of Old Main -- Huntsville's Pompeii"
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's Huntsville travel pages
Photos in HuntsvilleSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baton Rouge Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lübeck Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumont Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Schleswig-Holstein Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oranienburg Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntsville Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Bad Bentheim Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Huntsville hotel reviews