"The Queen of the Hanseatic Cities" Lübeck by der_geograf
Lübeck Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 668 photos
An excerpt from my weblog about Lübeck:
"Lübeck, founded in 1158, is known as the Queen of the Hanseatic Cities. As a Hanseatic City, Lübeck grew big very early on. In the Altstadt (Old City), there are a number of churches that were built as a competition between merchants and church officials--sort of a battle for "who's the boss" but using bricks, mortar, etc. According to the churches I saw, size definitely mattered to both sides . . . The Church could no longer afford to take care of two of them, so one was turned into a museum and the other is an art gallery at the bottom with an observation deck at the top.
Lübeck is close to the coast--maybe about 20 km--and has problems similar to New Orleans--it is SINKING. It is very evident when you arrive at the Altstadt gate and view the cathedrals from far away that in some cases the buildings are leaning noticeably, and as in the case of Church of St. Marien, the bell towers lean in different directions.
Both World Wars are ever-present themes in any German city today, and Lübeck was firebombed to hell by the Allies in the summer of 1942."
An unforgettable and necessary stop for anyone visiting Lübeck is the Petrikirche. The bottom of the church has been... more travel advice
Here is the interior of one of the rooms. more travel advice
der_geograf's Related Pages
Lübeck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Straight from the pages of a fairy tale book"
- "A day in Lübeck"
- "Winter in Lübeck!"
- "A fallen giant"
- "A Winter's day in the Pearl of the Baltic Sea"
- "The Queen of the Hanseatic Cities"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lübeck
- Hotels in Lübeck
- Transportation in Lübeck
- Nightlife in Lübeck
- Restaurants in Lübeck
- Shopping in Lübeck
- Warnings and Dangers in Lübeck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lübeck
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Lübeck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lübeck
Photos in LübeckSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baton Rouge Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lübeck Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumont Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Schleswig-Holstein Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oranienburg Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Huntsville Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Bad Bentheim Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Lübeck hotel reviews
- Radisson Blu Senator Hotel, Lubeck
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Hotel Hanseatic
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 29, 2011
- Hotel Lindenhof Luebeck
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Ibis Luebeck
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Appartementhaus Beckergrube
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Park Hotel Am Lindenplatz
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Excelsior Hotel Lubeck
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Baltic Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013
- CVJM - Sleep In
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 17, 2012