"Slovenia, Wild, beautiful and hospitable" Slovenia by MadKiwiBeast

Slovenia Travel Guide: 7,906 reviews and 20,431 photos

They saved my life!!

Can't even remember their names, but as is so typical of Slovenia, they gave us help without being asked. We had a ten km climb out of Cerkno that was practically vertical, and we were pushing our bikes up the first 500 metres, when these guys stopped their work truck, threw our bikes on the back and drove us to the top. Laughter overrode the language barrier, you could tell they thought we were mad trying to get our crap bikes over the mountain - dumb tourists! This is how I will always remember Slovenia, full of warm and friendly people who will go out of their way to help, Thanks Guys!!!

Lonely Roads and Wild Places

Between Gorenja Vas and Ljubljana we found ourselves on a lovely wee dirt road winding along the edge of a stream, with permission of a farming family we camped near here, as with all the others we met this family showed us such hospitality, treating us to homemade juice made from wild flowers and wild strawberries and milk fresh from the cow.

Somebody lives here!

We thought this was an abandoned house so pitched our tent outside the front door, and made a quick washing line tied on the door handle, only to have the owner stagger in drunk at 2am, thankfully he was really good about it, didn't seem to mind, but it made us a little more careful with our camping spots afterwards...

• Pros:The warmth and hospitality
  • Cons:Rainy days in the mountains
  • In a nutshell:Kiwiland with a funny language
  • Last visit to Slovenia: Jun 2005
  • Intro Written Jun 14, 2005

• crewrower's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2006 at 6:47 AM

I just love your pages. It would be great if you could write a summary on your home page of all the riding you've done; where and when (and why!). I have some info of my China rides on my pages.

MadKiwiBeast

“Don't know where I'm going & can't remember where I've been”

Badges & Stats in Slovenia

Have you been to Slovenia?

Latest Activity in Slovenia