"Lautoka" Lautoka by Dodo22
Lautoka Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 21 photos
Lautoka is the administrative centre for what they call the "Western Division" of Fiji and is the country's 2nd largest city. Its an easy trip from Nadi and worth a look as it gives you a better idea of how the locals live.
Not a great place to go souvenier shopping (even in the market we found the prices were more expensive than those in the hotel shops - very surprising). The market in the middle of town is a good place to get fresh fruit and vegetables. This eggplant is very different from the one we get at home, but sliced in half, brushed with oil and grilled it is just wonderful
The sugar mill in Lautoka has been here since 1903 and the sugar cane industry is key for the local economy. We must have been here in the busy season as we saw lots of sugar trucks and trains on the road and cane field fires were a common sight. We saw these guys as we were returning to Nadi.
- Pros:A good place to get away from the tourists
- Cons:A little dirty from the diesel fumes of vehicles
Dodo22's Related Pages
Lautoka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The eye of the storm"
- "Sikh Temple"
- "Just a town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lautoka
- Transportation in Lautoka
- Restaurants in Lautoka
- Shopping in Lautoka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lautoka
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Lautoka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lautoka
Top 10 Pages
- Raglan Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos
- Auckland Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos
- Fiji Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos, 4 travelogues
- Great Barrier Island Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Wellington Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Tawharanui Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Christchurch Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Nadi Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos