"Active Volcano" White Island by Dodo22
White Island Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 114 photos
White Island is 50 kms off the East Coast of NZ and can be most easily accessed from either Tauranga or Whakatane in the Bay of Plenty.
This is NZ's largest active volcanoe and is accessible by boats which normally anchor in Crater Bay so that you can go ashore.
In the past sulphur was mined on this island and a processing plant and accommodation were present on the island.
Then in 1914 the south-western rim of the crater collapsed and lahar flowed down the crater floor covering the cook house, managers house, the mens accommodation as well as the boiler house. Of the 10 men working on the island at the time, no trace was found, the only survivor being a cat.
The buildings were rebuilt in 1925 but the factory closed around 1933 when it was no longer profitable. Remains of the buildings can still be seen today.
Boats leave Whakatane wharf at around 8am during the winter with another later sailing during the summer months. The trip usually takes 1-1/2 hours (weather dependant) but plan on allowing about 6 hours for the whole trip.
Fishing and diving are also possible, but check first with the operators.
Dodo22's Related Pages
White Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Whakaari (White Island)"
- "Marine active Volcano"
- "Active Volcano"
- "Whakaari/White Island"
- "Live Volcano"
- "White Island - walk on an active volcano!"
- "An active volcano in the ocean... Let's hike it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in White Island
- Transportation in White Island
- Shopping in White Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in White Island
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to White Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in White Island
Photos in White IslandSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Raglan Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos
- Auckland Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos
- Fiji Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos, 4 travelogues
- Great Barrier Island Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Wellington Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Tawharanui Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Christchurch Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Nadi Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos