"Pretty laid back but nice" San Antonio de Areco by Wade123
San Antonio de Areco Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 27 photos
I first heard of Areco while watching "The Amazing Race" on TV. One of my favorite shows not very surprisingly. Supposed to be close to Buenos Aires and popular with them, especially on weekends. So I decided to give it a go.
Not being a fan of crowds of any sort, I assiduously avoided the weekend. I guess that plan worked, because I found it a very quiet little town with few tourists stumbling around. I also found some of the most friendly people anywhere on my 6 week trip through Argentina and Uruguay.
On several occasions, while standing on a corner staring at my map, I was asked by members of the local citizenry if they could be of help. The first time this happened, I ended up in a car and given a quick tour of the town and dropped off at a favored restaurant.
San Antonio was fun to wander around in. A very 'walkable' place. An interesting old church, a shady plaza, a few tourist attractions....a nice place to kickback for a day or two (but probably not three).
Lonely Planet says there is a week long fiesta in November celebrating the town's gaucho heritage. They recommended reservations, so it must be quite an affair.
- Pros:An interesting town of friendly people
- Cons:Transportation to/from was a bit of a problem
Miguelangel Gasparini is a very nice man who has his museum/art shop next door to the Restaurante Almarca de Ramos... more travel advice
I wandered around this small town quite a bit and found very few nice restaurants. By this I mean, indoor seating with... more travel advice
Wade123's Related Pages
San Antonio de Areco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Estancia Visit-- Visita a una estancia"
- "Pretty laid back but nice"
- "Tierra de tradición- "Land of tradition""
- "San Antonio de Areco"
- "Day trip to the Pampas"
- "The place where u can still find real gauchos"
- "Small town Argentina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Antonio de Areco
- Hotels in San Antonio de Areco
- Transportation in San Antonio de Areco
- Restaurants in San Antonio de Areco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Antonio de Areco
- 4 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to San Antonio de Areco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Antonio de Areco
Top 10 Pages
- Córdoba Intro, 8 reviews
- Montevideo Intro, 7 reviews
- Puerto Iguazú Intro, 6 reviews
- Colonia del Sacramento Intro, 5 reviews
- Buenos Aires Intro, 4 reviews
- San Antonio de Areco Intro, 4 reviews
- Villa Gesell Intro, 4 reviews
- Necochea Intro, 4 reviews
- Mar del Plata Intro, 3 reviews
- Punta del Este Intro, 2 reviews
No friends yet.