"Manado, for always in my heart" Top 5 Page for this destination Manado by Linda1979

Manado Travel Guide: 156 reviews and 481 photos

Teaching in Manado

From April-June 2002 I taught at a primary school in Manado (Sekolah Dasar Don Bosco, located @ Jalan Sudirman).
Before I went I spend 6 months learning the language (Bahasa Indonesia). This was at times a bit hard, because I was still a student at the teacher-college in Holland.
In the school I mostly taught English, singing, dancing and art. These were the lessons in wich I needed few words to make myself clear.
I worked there at a "rich" catholic school. Every class had over 40 pupils. The classroom were old, dirty and noisy (no glass in the windows, thin walls). There were over 700 pupils in the school and each morning (school starts at 7.00 AM) they gathered in the court for praying and singing.
After 1 PM school had finished and I had the rest of the day off and did my sight-seeing.

The temples

Allthough most Manado people are Christian (and this in the biggest moslim-country), the Chinese immigrants in this area have their own temples.
In Manado there are two Chinese temples. The oldest and biggest is the Ban Hin Kiong Temple.

This 19th century temple, the oldest in east Indonesia, is the worship place of Chinese Buddhist believers. The temple is located on Jl. Panjaitan in the center of the city.
During Toa Peh Kong each February, a traditional Chinese parade dating from the 14th century is held.

The second temple is much smaller and not interesting enough to visit. Unless of course, you have already seen everything else in Manado.

Near Tomohon there is also a temple-complex. This is also a nice place to visit (but a bit harder to find).

An underwater-world...

Most tourists in Manado have only one interst: diving!!! I don't dive myself, but I can imagine that the underwaterworld around Manado is amazing.
I myself spend several afternoons snorkeling above the most beautiful corals. Often I was surrounded by hundreds of colorfull fish and many other sea-creatures. The water-temperature is about 27C the whole year.
In Manado I met with a lot of divers that had been all over the world. And they all said the same: "Nowhere you can find such good diving as around Manado."
Well, I guess I just have to believe them on their word. But I do know this, next time that I'll be in Manado, I will know how to dive.

• Pros:most friendly people and there's everything you might possibly need
  • Cons:the lack of hygiene
  • In a nutshell:I can't understand why there aren't more tourists there
  • Last visit to Manado: Apr 2002
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2003

• Jul 19, 2005 at 6:39 AM

Many many happy returns of the day. Wishing you a happy birthday and great future travels . Greetings from India.

• eelaine's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 10:30 PM

great page.. i can't wait to see manado myself! :) and definitely dive there..

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2004 at 1:09 AM

Wow, another great experience. Your microlets remind me of minibuses in Brazil... you had to hand the money forward and any change would be passed back by other travellers. Great page... more!!!

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2003 at 2:56 AM

Beautiful page: good info and photos

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2003 at 1:11 PM

Oops, that left / right driving can be pretty confusing? And I guess I would definitely need a helmet in microlet... lol... Nice page and nice start on VT. Thanks. Waiting for more.

Linda1979

“Just go where the road will take you”

Badges & Stats in Manado