"Linda's travelbook" Linda1979's Profile
In 1979 I was born in Tilburg, a city in the south of the Netherlands. I lived there for the next 24 years, with my parents, in three different houses.
I could honestly say that the summer of 2003 changed my life completely. I had planned a relaxed holiday to France and Spain with a couple of friends. But on the way to the Dutch-Belgium border I received a telephone call; if I was interested in a teaching job in Laos PDR, in South-East Asia.
I told the woman that I would think it over, but in my mind I had already decided to go for it. And now I am living up to my wildest dreams....
As a child I enjoyed our family-vacations in Germany, Austria, Crete, Cyprus, USA, Lanzarote and France.
With my high-school I visited Denmark, Rome and Paris.
After high school I spend two summers working in Gerolstein (Germany) as a kids-animator.
In 2002 I spend 3 months in Manado (Indonesia) where I taught at an elementary school. On my way home I stayed in Singapore for a few days.
In the summer of 2003 I went to France and Spain with a few friends. A trip to Barcelona was one of the highlights of this trip.
The 25th of August 2004, I flew to Vientiane (the capital of Laos) to work here as a Dutch Language teacher. I teach expat-children with at least one Dutch parent. It's only a part-time job, but my salary pays for all the bills, so I still have time to explore the city.
I feel so lucky and blessed because:
- I now have two places to call home.
- I can experience a different culture in almost all aspects.
- I have had a richer youth (and not only money-wise) than most of the children in Laos.
- I can enjoy life in a unspoiled country.
Still living a very hapy life in Vientiane with my dog Kirby and my boyfriend Pany. Last week I moved house to an enormous palace (comparing to my old place that is) close to my old house. I now have palm- and mangotrees in my own garden!!! PARADISE....
Another thing that I am actually glad about is that I finally put on some weight. I've always been realy skinny and now I'm getting shapes.
Lao people are very direct. They just tell me that I'm fat or that I have 'more muscles' (very indirect for a Laotian to put it that way). They all mean it as a compliment, because "you looked to skinny before, not nice". And being fat is good, because it shows you have money enough to buy food.
Some people even think that I'm pregnant, and if I tell them that I am NOT, they say that I should think about getting married and getting baby's. I always reply that my dog is a big baby and that I will get married when I learned enough Lao to understand the ceremony. I guess that will take a while...
I'm settled in nicely into my new home. We have a gardener staying and working at our house now and he is a big help. It is nice to benefit yourself from helping local people to get a job...
Pany just bought 15 chicken. They are the ugliest ever and are still too young to lay eggs. I hope that that will change soon, because for me fresh eggs are the only reason to keep chicken. I guess I'm just not a bird-person.
I've been to the zoo again last weekend. They are still improving and my guests thought the zoo was even better than some in the U.S.A. I couldn't deny that.
I'm in the Netherlands right now to visit some family and friends.
In Lao my "farm" is still growing. We now have 2 dogs, a dozen chicken, a bunch of fish and a pig!
You can admire them all in the album: "Animal Farm".
Please drop me a line, so I know people are actually reading this info, and are not just "visiting"....
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 14 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 3 Countries
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Linda1979 and biawak are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Bangkok Forum "Re: bkk on 5 days"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Linda's travelbook"
updated their Profile Page "Linda's travelbook"
- Commented on GillianMcLaughlin's profile page
- Wrote a Review Explore the city with the VH3 in Vientiane Sports & Outdoors
- updated a Laos Travel Page "Life in Vientiane"
Top 5 Pages
- Vientiane 4 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manado Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Laos Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tilburg Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Tomohon 1 review, 1 photo
- Paris Hotels
- 22156 Reviews - 53823 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15552 Reviews - 30944 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23057 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11940 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8354 Reviews - 17030 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19428 Photos