"Corfu in a box" Top 5 Page for this destination Kerkyra by Crift

Kerkyra Travel Guide: 380 reviews and 853 photos

I need to sobber out

Greece never ceases to amaze me... you think you have seen it all and you expect that what you haven't seen yet, is somehow similar, but then you are in for a surprise.
I was wondering whether it was another Greek island I visited a week or so ago... It could have been an old Italian city or something. But then my friends from Corfu drank me under the table so I can surely say: "Yeah... That was Corfu alright!"

The history is haunting me

I can't escape it... I am one of these guys that spend their entire journey towards their destination reading about its past and once I get there, I grab my maps and my camera and go to meet history.
The old fortress of Corfu is one of these meeting places. Actually the whole damn city is a meeting place!

Achilles' Last Stand

Achillion was the "summer" palace for Princess Elisabet -aka Sissy- of Austria.
That chick suffered from TB and the Corfu climate was ideal for her.
Achillion overlooks the city of Corfu with a magnificent view. Wander around its gardens and imagine...
The whole palace is dedicated to Achilles -duh- and there are statues of him -and of other ancient folks- all over the place.

• Pros:The very Venetian architecture, the climate that makes the whole island covered in flora, the easy-going way of life, Sofrito and Pastitsada (local dishes)
  • Cons:The very humid climate could be difficult at times, the really bad way of driving
  • In a nutshell:If you want something typically Greek take a rain check... otherwise you will be thrilled!
  • Last visit to Kerkyra: Sep 2003
  • Intro Written Sep 23, 2003

• TXgal's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Corfu looks nice, I will read up on it for my next trip to Greece!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2004 at 1:14 PM

Kalispera Manos, te kaneis kai Kala Hristougena! Nice tips on Corfu. A Greek restaurant serving up huge portions? Surely not ;-))

• tiganeasca's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2003 at 11:33 AM

Thank you for sharing some lovely pictures and helpful tips on a place I have long wanted to visit. Now, all I need to do is find the time.... ;-)

• mardaska's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2003 at 7:47 AM

Haha!! Last time I was there it was on a highschool excursion... Seems to me that it was the destination for all the highschools in the nothwestern part of Greece!!

• Irine_29's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2003 at 11:26 PM

I had great times in Liston when there with highschool! very interesting writting, good start!

Crift

“Veni, vedi, velcro - (I came, I saw, I got stuck)”

Badges & Stats in Kerkyra

Have you been to Kerkyra?

Latest Activity in Kerkyra