"Spirit of the place" Pulau Samosir by Crift

Pulau Samosir Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 57 photos

I visited Samosir island on the October of 1991. I hadn't read "Spirit of the Place" by Durell at the time, but when I did, I knew I had already experienced it in Samosir, among its people, listening to the heavy rainfall at night falling on the bufflalo shaped rooftop of the batak-style bungalow...
I seek this spirit ever since wherever I go.
For me, Samosir was a meeting place. There I met a part of me that I never knew. Manos the seeker, the wanderer... I also met an amazingly entertaining English guy that I consider "kindred spirit" ever since! God bless you, Mark!

• Pros:At the time (October 1991) it was very peaceful and quiet. Batak people are very warm hearted and great musicians, as well!
  • Cons:The Batak eat dog meat. They sell that stuff on the Ambarita market. Also, sometimes you can feel the demonic spirit of their covered-up animism religion and old cannibalistic tradition in the air. Respect it and all will be well!
  • In a nutshell:Just go and see for yourself
  • Last visit to Pulau Samosir: Oct 1991
  • Intro Updated Dec 6, 2003

• Yiannis2000's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2004 at 3:30 AM

Interesting tips about yet another beautiful site in Indonesia!

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2004 at 4:11 AM

I'd stayed at Ambarita and found it's so tranquil! Yes, no need a nightlife there. Just hang-out with guitar and playing games ... everybody smile :D --@rie--

• Narviking's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2003 at 2:11 PM

Seems to be a interesting place to visit. Wish I were there now, far away from snowy Narvik... Greetings from Norway !

• Irine_29's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2003 at 11:22 PM

I too, smelled that cannibalistic tradition when in Bali, I think it still runs in their blood...a Christian mass for animists??!!! I would die to see that!!!

• Kristina1701's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2003 at 3:35 PM

even tho I don't like dogs I'm so sorry to read that! :-(

Crift

“Veni, vedi, velcro - (I came, I saw, I got stuck)”

Badges & Stats in Pulau Samosir

Have you been to Pulau Samosir?

Latest Activity in Pulau Samosir