"Mechelen" Mechelen by mightywease
Mechelen Travel Guide: 287 reviews and 739 photos
Situated almost midway between Brussels and Antwerp Mechelen is a pretty, medieval city quieter than its better known neighbours but in no way lacking in art, history, culture and entertainment.
The wool and cloth trade saw Mechelen flourish through the 14th and 16th Century, indeed in the early part of the 16th Century the city was capital of the low countries. Although the centre of administrative power moved away from the city it remained known for lace making and later in the 18th Century, furniture and wood working. The arrival of the railway in 1835 - the line between Brussels and Mechelen being the first railway in continental Europe - meant the city became a hub of the Belgian railway system as well as encouraging metalwork and related industries. Brewing also added to the city’s commerce, the Lamot Brewery closed in the 1990’s but Het Anker still produces wonderful Gouden Carolus, and other, beers.
In recent years investment in the city has brought more changes. The once un down Vismarkt (Fish Market) is now a great place for a morning coffee or and evening drink while just across the river Dilje the renovated Lamot Brewery building is a thriving cultural centre and exhibition hall.
It may not be as well known on the tourist maps as Bruges, Gent or its two near neighbours but Mechelen has a lot to offer a visitor.
mightywease's Related Pages
Mechelen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mechelen, where an emperor was raised"
- "Where two Margarets once ruled"
- "Did you missed it? what happened?"
- "Mechelen - Religious capital of Belgium"
- "Mechelen, city of the moon extinguishers"
- "VT meeting - Part I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mechelen
- Hotels in Mechelen
- Transportation in Mechelen
- Nightlife in Mechelen
- Restaurants in Mechelen
- Shopping in Mechelen
- Warnings and Dangers in Mechelen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mechelen
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Mechelen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mechelen
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 36 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 22 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos
- Prague Intro, 20 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gdansk Intro, 12 reviews, 41 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brugge Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos
- Gent Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos
Latest Mechelen hotel reviews
- Hotel Carolus
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Novotel Mechelen Centrum
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Hobbit
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Gulden Anker
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- NH Mechelen
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013