"Polonnaruwa" Top 5 Page for this destination Polonnaruwa by mightywease
Polonnaruwa Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 277 photos
Designated a World heritage Site in 1982 Polonnaruwa was the capital of Sri Lanka between the 11th and 13th Centuries and, particularly during the reign of Parakramabahu I, the city flourished as a cultural, artistic and imperial centre.
Three concentric walls protected the city, enclosing gardens, palace buildings and temples.On the west side the huge and impressive artificial lake (Parakrama Samudra/Topa Wema)), designed by Parakramabahu, provided water for irrigation.
The city was abandoned as a capital in the late 13th Century but the lake and the well preserved ruins of the ancient palace complex remain, giving a fascinating insight into a once great city.
Many of the ancient temples in Sri Lanka have moonstones at their entrance. Those in Anradhapura and Polonnaruwa are some of the finest examples.
Moonstones are half circles of polished stone decorated with animals and motifs which have symbolic meanings. On the outside are flames of purifying fire, inside rings of, for instance, elephants (representing birth), horses (old age), lions (illness), bulls (decay), geese (purity) and serpants (lust and desire) move towards the sacred lotus flower, representing nirvana, at the centre.
- Pros:Beautiful evocative ruins and statues
- Cons:If you are in a tour party you may feel rushed moving around the site
Built by King Parakramabahu the Palace reputedly was 7 storeys high and contained 1000 rooms. As much of the Palace was... more travel advice
mightywease's Related Pages
Polonnaruwa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ancient ruins"
- "Don't miss this capital city."
- "Historic Polonnaruwa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Polonnaruwa
- Hotels in Polonnaruwa
- Transportation in Polonnaruwa
- Nightlife in Polonnaruwa
- Restaurants in Polonnaruwa
- Warnings and Dangers in Polonnaruwa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Polonnaruwa
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Polonnaruwa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Polonnaruwa
Photos in PolonnaruwaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 36 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 22 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 20 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gdansk Intro, 12 reviews, 41 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brugge Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos
- Gent Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos