"Amsterdam" Amsterdam by vickss
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,205 reviews and 21,379 photos
Amsterdam encapsulates the best of Europe with a liberal dose of libertine culture. Its clean, tourist infrastructure is just great, nightlife is amazing, its next to none for artists-- with the museums, and ofcourse the canals..
Just perfect setting for those looking for history(WW2 types with Anne Frank House), sex(can't escape it--RLD), paintings and for the romantics..( probably not as great as Vienna) but equally enchanting canal ride on light street lighting.
Over the years it has become to be known more for its RLD(red light district) and liberal attitude towards drugs rather than natural beauty but it brings together a great cornucopia for all kinds of tourists and all kinda options one might expect.
I was there for three days in Autumn of 2003 when I was staying at Leidensplein right next to the Hard Rock Cafe.
It is not as central as the Dam area where lotta hostels can be found as it is also the closest to the RLD, it is quite close to all the places one should visit in Amsterdam- Anne frank House, the museums- Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh etc and just about 15 minutes from the tram/bus to Centraal Station- which inturn is close to the world famous RLD.
I visited Amsterdam again.. in September 2009. This time with my wife enroute to our two weeks Europe tour. This time we stayed at an apartment at Keizersgracht and I visited some new places like Vondelpark besides exploring Reikermolen, the old windmill next to Amstel river to the south of the city. Since my wife was visiting it the first time, we also did the usual touristy things like Anne Frank Huis and RLD etc besides trying out spacecakes :)
- Pros:Nights compensate for everything
- Cons:Days are a lil boring if you stay long
- In a nutshell:Good place to stay for a week seeding up in nightlife but not more than that.
There are a few public sitouts close to Skinny Bridge and its great to just sit and watch few boats go past and the sun... more travel advice
This is a large park to the South West of the city. There are trams which go to the park. There are small ponds, places... more travel advice
vickss' Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "dila's new Amsterdam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 31 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Thailand Forum "Re: 8-10 days in Thailand in end..."
- Wrote a Review Watch the sun go down from Skinny Bridge about Magere Brug - Skinny Bridge in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Watch the sun go down from Skinny Bridge"
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "Amsterdam"
- Commented on one of amazingclick's Amsterdam travel pages
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 31 reviews, 25 photos
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Ladakh Range Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Gulmarg Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Goa Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Berlin Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Ibiza Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos