"Center of the Universe" Fremont by Jonathan_C

Fremont Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 123 photos

So how does a neighborhood get to be known as the Center of the Universe. It's on our street signs so it must be official. Perhaps no one ever asked before. For residents, the official recognition is unimportant. Like any well loved community, Fremont is the center of our Universe. Over the years Fremont has gone from 'run down' to 'funky' to 'artsy' to 'hip' and you can still find some of each if you visit. But it's the people that make this neighborhood so special. Close to downtown Seattle, with a mix of university types, artists, planners and entrepeneurs, Fremont is a vibrant melting pot of ideas and activism. So you should come and meet the local residents besides the Troll. Come, if you can, for the Solstice Parade on the Saturday nearest the Solstice. Or at least stop by the Sunday Market or the Outdoor Movies. Here you will meet the eclectic, artistic, uninhibited folks proud to be known as Fremonsters.

Community Fremont

Fremontsters are unusually dedicated to living in and improving upon their neighborhood. There is truly something magic that draws fine people here and keeps them from leaving. Almost half of my neighbors that bought houses in the last decade have moved from somewhere else in Fremont. Those of us here can't imagine living anywhere outside of a six block radius centered on us. It's the kind of place where people walk the sidewalks, know their neighbors and take part in community projects.

I've always felt like 5% of the people in any community are doing everything interesting while the other 95% are watching TV, drinking bad beer or both. In Fremont it seems that 20% or more are engaged in making Fremont even more livable and interesting than it is already.

When you come to Fremont you should go beyond mere sight seeing and try to meet some of the people who live here. The Still Life Cafe is a haven for locals. The folks in History House will be happy to fill you in on many inside stories. Visit the Edge of Glass gallery or the Foundry to meet local artists. Walk Canal Park all the way to the pagan fire ring to travel the path my neighbors take into town. Visit the Sunday market or the Saturday Night Outdoor Movies to understand that thriving, viable communities are possible in America without automobiles.

Take your time in Fremont and pretend it's your home for a day. Arrive without a car if you can and enjoy being within four blocks of everything a reasonable person could want. Spend some time in the library and Dusty Strings. Go down to the rowing club and just watch life on the water. You could see everything in just a couple of hours but if that's all you do you'll miss so much.

Fremont, like any well loved community, will grow on you the longer you stay. Who knows, perhaps you won't leave. We'd love to have you join our 20%.

Artistic Fremont

Fremont is the live/work/play location for many Seattle artisits, nudists, pyromaniacs and other creative types. Their passions are best expressed in their own web pages so let me direct you to a few:

The Fremont Arts Council is the driving force behind the Solstice parade and many other fantastic events.

The ARF web site describes the activities of some of Fremont's fire artists.

John Cornicello, my neighbor, has a web site of his photographs of many Fremont Arts Council and community events.

As you'll see, artistic expression is fundamental to our understanding of who we are as a community. Art in Fremont is participatory, collaborative and community building with a major emphasis on fun.

• Last visit to Fremont: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 7, 2004

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Hi, Jonathan! Your page is amazing, ourstanding! You have evething there, even Lenin's statue...

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Interesting, Jonathan, Interesting. Take care! (I'm talking about your interurban tip page) ;D

• Aug 28, 2006 at 11:06 PM

I'll bet there are some Seattlites who pray to the one true God, the one who made the Sun. Your pictures make Seattle interesting enough for a visit. Thanks.

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2006 at 8:24 AM

I assumed at first your page would be Fremont, CA, a funny place to be center of the universe. But, now I've learned about the Fremont near Seattle--a very interesting community!

• Jan 15, 2006 at 12:15 AM

Thanks for sharing. Greetings from Cape Town.

• kcrismier's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2005 at 6:44 PM

interesting stuff! i actually worked in mexico with the man who is the face of the troll! it's a great likeness actually. cheers from redmond

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2005 at 5:58 AM

Fremont sounds like a very interesting place - real down to earth. I love the troll under the bridge! We still enjoy going to the Drive-in, when you can find one still operating. Penny

• LauraWest's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2005 at 11:52 AM

Hi! I visited Fremont back in 2002 (?). I wish I'd had your tips back then. but I did see The Troll & Lenin, of course & walked around. John Waters was in town for his photo show; met him. did you see his show?

• Birsen's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2005 at 7:16 AM

Hi Jonathan, I enjoyed your VT pages. I am an artist who paying attention on the streets every weird piece... Greetings from Las Palmas:))

• blue_sky04's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2005 at 9:00 PM

Great page! An interesting place to visit.

Jonathan_C

“Always looking for natural beauty and real community.”

Badges & Stats in Fremont

Have you been to Fremont?

Latest Activity in Fremont