"Beautiful Ruins, Stunning Landscape" Top 5 Page for this destination Wupatki National Monument by Jonathan_C
Wupatki National Monument Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 326 photos
Eight hundred years ago, this pueblo was a flourishing community of perhaps 80-100 people with about 1000 neighbors within a day's walk. Extended trade networks brought them turquoise, shells, copper bells and Mexican parrots. Fields of drought resistant corn and squash were tended with water from nearby springs and seeps. Prayers for rain were many and locals often consulted the sacred blowhole through which the Earth breathed in and out foretelling changes in the weather. Lenticular clouds over the mountains or heat waves over the desert all spoke to the dryland farmers who lived here.
Ceremonial gatherings took place at the nearby ball court adopted from the Hohokom culture to the south. Others were held in the semi-subterranean kiva, each participant re-enacting the birth of man as he crawled out of the roof-hole into the sunshine. Leisure time was filled story telling, song and dance, decorative crafts or perhaps hikes up the hill for spectacular views south-westward to the snow covered San Francisco peaks or eastward to the great expanse of the Painted Desert.
This is the world that once was at Wupatki. A trip to this beautiful spot will awaken you to a world few Americans know about. Sit down amongst these still sacred stones and close your eyes -- they have many stories to tell to those who are willing to listen.
As in the rest of Arizona, the best viewing is in the morning and evening hours. Not only do you escape the heat, but... more travel advice
The Nalakihu and Citadel pueblos are located a couple of miles east of Wupatki pueblo but still within the National... more travel advice
Jonathan_C's Related Pages
Wupatki National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wupatki National Monument"
- "Wupatki National Monument~"
- "Sinaguans at a Cultural Crossroads"
- "Wonderful Indian Ruins and History"
- "Beautiful Ruins, Stunning Landscape"
- "Visiting the Pueblos"
- "Ancient Civilization"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wupatki National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Wupatki National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wupatki National Monument
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Wupatki National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wupatki National Monument
- updated a Wupatki National Monument Travel Page "Beautiful Ruins, Stunning Landscape"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Feature Request: tip..."
- Wrote a Review viewing hours in Wupatki National Monument Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beautiful Ruins, Stunning Landscape"
- Commented on one of zrim's Wupatki National Monument travel pages
Photos in Wupatki National MonumentSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Fremont Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos
- Seattle Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Toulouse Intro, 15 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sedona Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oswald West State Park Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Sun Lakes State Park Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ebeys Landing Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue