"RANTHAMBHORE NATIONAL PARK" Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur by MattTB
Sawai Madhopur Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 445 photos
Sawai Madhopur is the nearest village to Ranthambhore National Park. It has a train station and if you are visiting this you will most likely arrive here! As soon as you get off the train you will find yourself overwelmed with the friendliness of the people! All the kids smile and wave at you as you make your way to your hotel.
Ranthambhore National Park is a 400 square km park most famous for it's Tiger population! The park has a big old fort up on the cliffs and has old temples and buildings built by the Maharajah strewn throughout it's area. This was once the Marharajah's hunting grounds, now thankfully the Tiger has a refuge here!
The park was opened under Project Tiger in the 1970's, we learnt from one of our drivers that he had been driving in the park since the begining! Back then there were only apparently 6 visitors to the park a year! Also it was impossible to see Tigers during the day as they hid from humans and only came out at night! Now there are a lot more visitors and the Tiger knows he is safe!
The was a series of poaching incedents back in the late 80's and 90's that effect the Tiger population, but thankfully they have recovered and the Tiger population is estimated at around 30-40!
Safari drives into the park are strictly controlled by park authorities, only a certain number of jeeps are allowed in and each is given a specific route to follow. from what I saw routes 6 and 7 were the best! Unfortunately they let these big noisy bus like things in called 'Cantors', but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as they are too crowded noisy and big!
Originally a number of villages were located with in the park grounds. These people have been relocated to new villages outside the park provided by the government.
Ranthambhore is an awesome place!!! I recommend you visit in March and April as it is the dry season and game concentrates round the artificial lakes in the park. also with no leaves on the trees you have much better sight into the bush!!
- Pros:Awesome willife, lovely people, just great!
- Cons:Possibly becoming too popular with tourists?
- In a nutshell:Awesome!
Ranthambhore is perfect Leopard country, I reckon there must be more Leopards than Tigers! We didn't see one though.... more travel advice
Take a trip into the old town of Sawai Madhopur! Its a great area for shopping, loads of textiles, jewelry and various... more travel advice
MattTB's Related Pages
Sawai Madhopur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ranthambore National Park"
- "Ranthambhore - Bengal Tiger Territory"
- "Sawai Madhopur - on our way to Ranthambore"
- "RANTHAMBHORE NATIONAL PARK"
- "Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve"
- "ON THE TRAIL OF THE TIGER"
- "Ranthambhore National Park - Where the Tigers Roam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sawai Madhopur
- Hotels in Sawai Madhopur
- Transportation in Sawai Madhopur
- Nightlife in Sawai Madhopur
- Restaurants in Sawai Madhopur
- Warnings and Dangers in Sawai Madhopur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sawai Madhopur
- 8 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Sawai Madhopur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sawai Madhopur
Top 10 Pages
- Kruger National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nanegal Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maldives Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pinarbasi Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hurghada Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Tashkent Intro, 6 reviews
- Turkey Intro, 4 reviews
- Olympos Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo
No friends yet.