"Beijing in a Flash" Beijing by Mez77

Beijing Travel Guide: 6,338 reviews and 15,979 photos

Beijing...What I thought.

I was only in Beijing for two very short days, and one of them was spent on the Great Wall. My impressions of the city were very positive and I wish I had had many more days to explore this amazing place. Because I was there for such a short time, I probably can't do the place justice on this page, but I will attempt to highligh some of the awesome sights this city has to offer.

One thing I notice in Beijing is the sheer amount of restoration that is currently in progress. Even so, I was mightily impressed with what I saw. In the next few years leading up to the 2008 Olympics, the massive and chaotic transformation of the city will become faster and ever more feverish. I dare say, Beijing will change a great deal between 2004 and the Olympics.

Another stark reality is that Beijing is not the real China. It seems to hold all the wealth of the nation and is a stark contrast with the rest I China that I saw. So...if you plan on going to China, make sure you get out of Beijing, becuase you aren't even getting half the story.

• Last visit to Beijing: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2004

• Wann's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2005 at 4:17 AM

Nice page of Beijing. Nice intro written and many good tips on the famous places of Beijing. Would like to visit there one day. Thanks !!!

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2004 at 2:40 PM

Hi ! I love this page, a lot of nice pictures and also good infos. I am looking forward more pictures:) Greetings from Poland.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2004 at 5:42 AM

Gr8 intro, don't know if I'd call it all restoration tho'. Think they're destroying a lot of the character 2. Thought I'd be disappointed with BaDaLing, but Gr8 Wall there was just awesome. Worth the trip alone. Would love to see other parts too.

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 10:19 PM

wowwww, fantastic coverager, Mia :) thanks for sharing ... want to be there soon!!!

Mez77

“Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road”

Badges & Stats in Beijing

Have you been to Beijing?

Latest Activity in Beijing