"Fraser Island...The world's largest Sand Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Fraser Island by Mez77
Fraser Island Travel Guide: 166 reviews and 465 photos
Named after shipwreck victim Eliza Fraser, the World Heritage listed Fraser Island is truly amazing. There are many natural wonders including beautiful rainforests, pristine lakes, endless surf beaches, immense sand blows, cliffs of coloured sands, crystal clear streams and vast stretches of mangroves.
Fraser Island is 125km long and over 160,000 hectares in area. It was formed during the ice age when the prevailing winds transported vast quantities of sand from New South Wales and deposited it along the coast of Queensland forming Fraser Island as we know it today.
The rainforest consists of a large variety of plants all growing in pure sand! The oldest fern in the world is also found on Fraser Island.
There are several lakes on Fraser Island each with its own individual character - from lakes stained red with tannin to others with pure white sand and crystal clear water. Swimming in these lakes is a worthwhile experience.
Fraser Island is also home to over 200 species of birds along with a variety of mammals, wallabies, snakes, possums, turtles and flying foxes. Until recently, the island was also home to wild Brumbies and goats. These animals have now been removed from the island and they were destroying the ecosystem.
Fraser Island is now listed as a World Heritage site. Other, more well know world heritage sites in Australia include the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru and Kakadu National Parks.
My memories of Fraser Island go back to when I was a child. I've made many trips to the Island and never get sick of the experience. There is always something new to see and I love taking others who haven't been before and seeing it through their eyes.
- Pros:Stunning natural environment: rainforest, beach, lakes, sand dunes.
- Cons:Not many...except it is now so popular we don't have it to ourselves.
- In a nutshell:It has it all...
One of the biggest problems you may encounter on Fraser Island is Dingoes. Since the local wild brumbies and goats have... more travel advice
There are a number of freshwater lakes on the island but the most famous is Lake McKenzie. Notable for its size, the... more travel advice
Mez77's Related Pages
Fraser Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World's Largest Sand Island, World Heritage Listed"
- "Fraser Island: all the Outdoor you want"
- "Fraser Island...The world's largest Sand Island"
- "Largest All-Sand Island in the World!"
- "Fraser Island - paradise on earth"
- "Sweetberry's Frazer Island Page"
- "Worlds Biggest Sand Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fraser Island
- Hotels in Fraser Island
- Transportation in Fraser Island
- Nightlife in Fraser Island
- Restaurants in Fraser Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Fraser Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fraser Island
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Fraser Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fraser Island
- Posted in Travel Jaipur Forum "Getting to Jaipur from Delhi"
- Commented on one of littlebush's Fraser Island travel pages
- updated a Fraser Island Travel Page "Fraser Island...The world's largest Sand Island"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fraser Island...The world's largest Sand Island"
- Wrote a Review Driving in Fraser Island Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Fraser IslandSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 27 reviews, 21 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Waikiki Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fraser Island Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Sydney Intro, 17 reviews, 9 photos
- China Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Beijing Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Australia Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Franz Josef Glacier Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos