"Bishop - Confluence of Rednecks and Mountain Folk" Top 5 Page for this destination Bishop by tomatohead
Bishop Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 127 photos
The Owens Valley is one of the deepest valleys in the world. It gets an average of 6 inches of rain a year which is why it is so brown.
Its mountain ranges, the Sierra Nevadas and the Whites, are among the highest in N. America. They both have 14,000 ft./4,200m. peaks!
Bishop, the largest town in the Owens Valley, has great peakbagging, hiking, rock climbing, fishing, hang and paragliding juxtaposed with Western and "redneck" experiences like Mule Days, the tri-county fair, and fellas smokin' outside Rusty's - the local bar.
If you see some freaks driving around town in a 1975 Cadillac El Dorado converitble wearing day-glo wigs, say "Hi" ..that'll be us.
A friend of mine told me that the Valley looks JUST LIKE parts of Afghanistan.
- Pros:Two impressive mountain ranges, a gorgeous desert floor, small town feel- it's so far from "anywhere", a great place to live
- Cons:Hot as Hades in Summer, dearth of good ethnic food and good jobs, small town feel- it's so far from "anywhere"
- In a nutshell:I'm always happy to come home.
The Airport Cafe is one of the better places to catch a fry up for breakky because it won't leave you as queasy and as... more travel advice
I like Hot Creek because no matter how big your party, there's room for you. The smaller tubs are great, but sometimes... more travel advice
tomatohead's Related Pages
Bishop Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bishop - Confluence of Rednecks and Mountain Folk"
- "Bishop - Portal to the Outdoors"
- "CALIFORNIA HWY 395 SWEET SPOT, BISHOP"
- "Bishop, on Highway 395"
- "Small tourist town with great hiking"
- "Desert, Ice, Water & Snow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bishop
- Hotels in Bishop
- Transportation in Bishop
- Nightlife in Bishop
- Restaurants in Bishop
- Shopping in Bishop
- Warnings and Dangers in Bishop
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bishop
- 17 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Bishop?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bishop
Photos in BishopSee All Photos (19)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bishop Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Wellington Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Collingwood 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Melbourne Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
No friends yet.
Latest Bishop hotel reviews
- The Trees Motel
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Best Western Bishop Holiday Spa Lodge
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Bishop
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Creekside Inn
- 307 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Rodeway Inn Bishop
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 29, 2012