"Tervuren - A nice tram ride and a unique museum" Tervuren by deptlads
Tervuren Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 91 photos
Tervuren is one of Brussels' best kept secrets. Actually, it is not really in Brussels at all, but just the other side of the Foret de Soignes (the forest that runs around the eastern ans south-eastern edge of the city) on the way to Leuven. It is mainly known for the Musem of Central Africa which is situated here, and for the attractive parkland and forest. It is also known to many British ex-pats because the British School of Brussels is sited here (and this is where Andrew went to school in the late '70s).
The best way to get to Tervuren is by the no. 44 tram which goes from Montgomery metro station (you will need to get an extension ticket as Tervuren is outside the main Brussels fare zone). After travelling through some of Brussels' more up-market, villa-studded suburbs, the tram takes an attractive route through the forest, for much of the time on separate tracks away from the road.
The tram terminates right by the Central African Museum (which is certainly worth a visit in its own right). The park, with its extensive lawns and long ornamental canal, is just beyond the Museum. And beyond that, there is woodland, an arboretum, and the forest proper - which extends some 20 miles or so right round to Waterloo.
- Pros:Interesting tram ride and fascinating museum. Lovely parkland
- Cons:Not much fun if the weather is bad
- In a nutshell:It might be a little way out of the city, but the tram ride itself makes it worth it
We found these grebes nesting in one of the ornamental ponds on Tervuren Park, outside the Central Africa Museum. more travel advice
Fascinating museum about central African history, art, culture, anthropology etc. Set on the edge of a beautiful park,... more travel advice
deptlads' Related Pages
Tervuren Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dukes and Kings loved it, so why won't you?"
- "They call it the Versailles of Brussels"
- "Tervuren - A nice tram ride and a unique museum"
- "My home for a few years"
- "With the Girls in Tervuren"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tervuren
- Transportation in Tervuren
- Restaurants in Tervuren
- Warnings and Dangers in Tervuren
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tervuren
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Tervuren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tervuren
Photos in TervurenSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Stockholm Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Montpellier Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Reine Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- England Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Norway Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos