"Sidmouth" Sidmouth by deptlads
Sidmouth Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 43 photos
Sidmouth is a small south coast seaside resort in East Devon. We went there in July 2008 to visit an old friend who had retired there.
It is actually quite a charming, civilised little place - relatively unspoilt and undeveloped, with few of the tacky and vulgar trappings of some other seaside towns. This might have something to do with the fact that over 40% of the population is aged over 65.
Nestling in a valley between large red Devonian sandstone cliffs, Sidmouth is near the Western end of the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site. The surrounding countryside is very attractive (it is in an area of outstanding natural beauty), and the 45 minute bus ride from Exeter is quite pleasant.
When we were there, unseasonal storms had whipped-up the sea into a dramatic red froth, as you can see in this picture.
- Pros:Charming and civilised
- Cons:Small and not easy to get to
deptlads' Related Pages
Sidmouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A South Devon Time Warp"
- "Your are entering donkey land"
- "Faded Grandeur on the Seaside"
- "Sidmouth My Home Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sidmouth
- Hotels in Sidmouth
- Transportation in Sidmouth
- Restaurants in Sidmouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sidmouth
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Sidmouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sidmouth
Top 10 Pages
- Stockholm Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Montpellier Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Reine Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- England Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Norway Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos