"Porvoo" Porvoo by deptlads
Porvoo Travel Guide: 252 reviews and 568 photos
Porvoo is a charming little town about 50km east of Helsinki. It is reputed to be the second oldest city in Finland. It features classic red wharf houses lining the river, an attractive town square, an ancient cathedral, and an old town stuffed with little wooden houses along winding cobbled streets.
I have to say that there was much more to Porvoo than we were expecting. It is a really good place to explore on foot, and there is lots of interest and variety in the streets and squares, and along the riverside. You can easily spend a day here just wandering around.
Unfortunately, one of the major sites of interest - the cathedral - was seriously damaged by fire (arson) earlier in 2006, and had lost its roof. It is now completely covered by scaffolding and a temporary roof, and is unfortunately closed to visitors.
You can easily get to Porvoo by bus from Helsinki (see travel tip below), or, during the summer, by boat.
- Pros:Attractive and quaint, without being too touristy.
- Cons:It takes a bit of an effort to get there from Helsinki.
If one of your intended sights in Porvoo is the Cathedral you should know that the building suffered arson in May 2006... more travel advice
deptlads' Related Pages
Porvoo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Porvoo - Borgå"
- "Porvoo - Captivating charm of Finland"
- "Charming town by the sea"
- "Porvoo ~ On the King's Road"
- "Porvoo (in Swedish Borgå)"
- "Porvoo, where my mind lives"
- "A Lovely Quaint Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porvoo
- Hotels in Porvoo
- Transportation in Porvoo
- Nightlife in Porvoo
- Restaurants in Porvoo
- Shopping in Porvoo
- Warnings and Dangers in Porvoo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porvoo
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Porvoo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porvoo
Photos in PorvooSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Stockholm Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Montpellier Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Reine Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- England Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Norway Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos