"Svolvær" Svolvær by deptlads
Svolvær Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 75 photos
Svolvær is one of the main towns in Lofoten, and the administrative centre for the Vågan municipality on the island of Austvågøy - the easternmost of the Lofoten chain. Like most of the settlements in Lofoten, Svolvær is on the "inside" coast - ie facing the Vestfjord, which separates Lofoten from the Norwegian mainland.
Svolvær is the main gateway to Lofoten. The Hurtigrute calls here, and there are car and fast ferry connections to the mainland. There is also one of the islands' two main airports, and there are several largeish hotels and some good restaurants. However - as most of the guide books will tell you - attractive as Svolvær is, the rest of Lofoten is much better, so we wouldn't recommend spending too much of your time here. Do what we did and spend the night here, then head off to the rest of the islands. The bus services seemed pretty good, although we actually hired a car for a couple of days.
- Pros:Good transport connections, hotels and amenities
- Cons:Other towns on Lofoten are even better than this.
- In a nutshell:A good refuelling stop on your way to exploring the Lofoten islands
Large quayside pub/bar/restaurant/hotel in a 19th century wooden building on a small island in Svolvær harbour. There is... more travel advice
deptlads' Related Pages
Svolvær Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Rainy Day in Svolvær"
- "Not long enough in Svolvaer"
- "Svolvær - the capital of Lofoten"
- "A 'crowded and hectical' place ?!?"
- "With Costa Deliziosa from Amsterdam to North Cape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Svolvær
- Hotels in Svolvær
- Transportation in Svolvær
- Restaurants in Svolvær
- Shopping in Svolvær
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Svolvær
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Svolvær?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Svolvær
Photos in SvolværSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Stockholm Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Montpellier Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Reine Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- England Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Norway Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos