"Why to go to Interlaken" Top 5 Page for this destination Interlaken by Manara

Interlaken Travel Guide: 508 reviews and 1,371 photos

I have spent a three weeks' holiday in Interlaken this summer, for the fourth time. I have updated some tips, and added a few ones.

There are many beautiful places in Switzerland, one of the reasons for me to choose Interlaken when I went there the first time, in 2003, was that I wanted (I needed) a longer holiday than usual: 3 weeks. In three weeks, even in a summer as hot and dry as the one of that ear, it is very likely to have some days of really bad weather, when you do not feel like walking mountain paths, so a too small village is not the ideal place to stay.

Interlaken is the proper place for the holiday I had in mind: plenty of shops, restaurants, bars, even a casino, for those days or evenings when one is in the mood for a more urban way of life, but also surrounded by beautiful mountains and close to the best places for alpine excursions.

After that first experience I still wanted to see more of the places around Interlaken and, most important of all, I liked staying there, so I have spent another holiday there in the summer of 2006 and returned again in 2010.

• Pros:Wonderful landscapes, funny trains, a lively place
  • Cons:Expensive transports
  • In a nutshell:The perfect place to stay if you want to explore the region
  • Last visit to Interlaken: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Dec 15, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Happy New Year and greetings from Frankfurt am Main. I’m glad to hear that some of the Swiss Army Knives now include a USB memory stick. That is the one thing that has been missing up to now.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2011 at 3:39 AM

Hard to imagine noisy Swiss, ... I love Swatch watches, I have one which is very similar to the striped one. :) Enjoyed visiting Interlaken through your page.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Interesting page,although Ive not stopped to spend time in Interlaken,passed through a couple of times..I should stop and look around next time...where do you overnight when youre staying in Interlaken??Good to know about the Visitor's Card.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2010 at 9:28 AM

absolutely beautiful, one of the countries i would love to visit. but - the food looks remarkably unhealthy. nice pictures.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2008 at 4:34 PM

I want to see the cow festivals. Love cows. They look extra fat! This is entirely different to Australia. What time of the year does this happen?

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2007 at 10:17 AM

haha, very funny to read :))! I never made it to Schilthorn or Piz Gloria nor Ballenberg so far ;)

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 8:30 AM

I enjoyed your travel guide on this part of switzerland that I have only briefly travelled through.

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 9:00 AM

I love this part of Switzerland, Balenburg is a great place to visit.

• Bashir-1's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 12:03 AM

Thank you for showing us these charming scenes, clean breath & quite area.

• adventerrtravel22's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2004 at 8:30 PM

GREAT PICTURES. I LOVE Mountains and Trains and have visited Interlaken. Great job with your pages. I enjoyed them.

Manara

“The world is my companion, not my judge”

Badges & Stats in Interlaken

Have you been to Interlaken?

Latest Activity in Interlaken