"Skopje - A Reborn City" Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje by Manara

Skopje Travel Guide: 809 reviews and 2,024 photos

My stay in Skopje was not long, but thanks to the warm hospitality of my hosts I was able to make the most of the free time I had there.

I remember rather vividly an article with many pictures that I saw in a magazine in 1973, when I was in my teens. It was about Skopje and those were the first pictures of that city that I can remember. The article was about the reconstruction of Skopje after it had been almost entirely destroyed by an earthquake ten years before. Skopje was described as a reborn city, like a Phoenix that rises again from its ashes. I was developing an interest for architecture at that time, so I was fascinated by the pictures, and by reading how the great Japanese architect Kenzo Tange had provided the master plan for the reconstruction of the city centre.

So when I visited Skopje many years later I had an opportunity to see how the ideas of Tange had become reality. He had planned the promenades by the river, with the intention of making them an important setting for the city life, and keeping the old stone bridge as a focal point for the city. Looking at the place during the weekend, and seeing people spend their leisure time there, I saw how right the idea was.

• Last visit to Skopje: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Loved reading this page! Thought the frescoes were something to see in St Panteleimon, I wouldn't want to miss those or many of the sight's you have mentioned, thanks!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Fabulous little page with brilliant photos and helpful info. We will visit the capital of Macedonia at the beginning of June.

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Wow, that is a nice hotel! Yes, complex Pantelejmon was great for views. Your pics bring back fond memories.. Darshan

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Very nice page of Skopje! It does bring great memories. Thank you for shearing! Valentina

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Lovely Skopje page with excellent travel tips especially your restaurants tips! St. Panteleimon Church certainly looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• craic's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2009 at 8:58 AM

i would love to go to skopje - an enticing page

• i-bella's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Wherever you go you always go to good restaurants!

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Great update! I was not allowed to take pictures in Panteleimon, not even with a Macedonian girlfriend :-) Did not know there was a bowling alley in the sport center, nice for next visit! Cheers, Dennis

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Hello, Anna Maria ! You are right, it's a splendid destination!

Manara

“The world is my companion, not my judge”

Badges & Stats in Skopje