Lago Maggiore Things to Do Tips by Manara Top 5 Page for this destination
Lago Maggiore Things to Do: 46 reviews and 59 photos
The only house on this island is the Palazzo, built by the Borromeo family of course. Its architect was Pellegrino Tibaldi, and the work started in 1585.
The palace has two main entrances, the one I show in my second picture is called Kashmir entrance, because of the big tree in front of it. It is a Kashmir cypress (Cupressus Cashmeriana) from the Himalaya. Now this tree is not as strong and beautiful as it used to be, because it was seriously damaged by a whirlwind in the summer of 2006.
Among the birds you will meet here, the ones that will get more noticed are certainly the peacocks. After all, their mission in life is being beautiful, and making sure that everybody notices. You will find normal peacocks and also white ones. If you want to take pictures, you can rely on the collaboration of these birds: they will be happy to pose.
A Chinese pheasant
Those who created this garden had a taste for the exhotic not only with regard to plants, but also with birds. For me "The Little Blue Bird" was the title of a play, because I had never seen a blue bird before coming here. In this island I have also met for the first time a Chinese pheasant.
If you have a cold, I recommend to postpone a visit to this island to when you feel better, because if your sense of smell is impaired you will miss part of the pleasure. The colours and the scents you will find will depend of course from the time of the year. If you visit the park in springtime, you will be able to enjoy the wisterias: follow the directions to these steps to find them.
The island is a private property and visitors must pay a fee. It is possible to buy a combined ticket that includes visits to the park and the palace of the Isola Bella as well as the visit to the park and palace of Isola Madre. Travellers who do not want to visit the island, and just make a stop here to take a few pictures of the lake, will find that the only place which is accessible without a ticket is a short lane leading to a cafe. Even this, however, is worthwhile, because the view is stunning.
More Reviews (14)
Manara's Related Pages
Lago Maggiore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lago Maggiore"
- "Maggiore Memories"
- "Lago Maggiore and the Borromeo Islands"
- "Lago Maggiore"
- "BORROMEAN ISLANDS"
- "Big Blue Jewel in the Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago Maggiore
- Hotels in Lago Maggiore
- Transportation in Lago Maggiore
- Nightlife in Lago Maggiore
- Restaurants in Lago Maggiore
- Shopping in Lago Maggiore
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago Maggiore
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nouville Hotels
- Polop Hotels
- Ningbo Hotels
- Johnsonville Hotels
- San Antonio de Areco
Badges & Stats in Lago Maggiore
- 19 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Lago Maggiore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago Maggiore
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 36 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos
- Vienna Intro, 34 reviews, 41 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago Maggiore Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stresa Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Interlaken Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue