"Verbano" Top 5 Page for this destination Lago Maggiore by Manara
Lago Maggiore Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 237 photos
'What can one say of Lake Maggiore, of the Borromeo Isles, except to pity those who do not love them?' These words were written by Stendhal, who was very young when he first visited these places, in the spring of year 1800.
He came back again and again, and he was staying in Belgirate when he wrote his masterpiece La chartreuse de Parme.
Many other writers and poets were enchanted by this lake and its surroundings: Goethe, Byron, Dumas, Flaubert, Dostoevski, Shaw, Hemingway, Thomas Mann.
Here on VT the lake Maggiore is listed in the region of Lombardy, but this long and narrow lake actually lies on the border between this region and Piedmont. The northern part of the lake is in Switzerland.
The people from this area used to talk about a "Riva Grassa" and a "Riva Magra": at times when "fat" meant "rich", the Riva Grassa was the one on the western side, where many rich people built their luxurious villas, and equally luxurious hotels accommodated rich holidaymakers. The villages and towns of the "Lean Bank" of Lombardy, instead, still lived on the traditional, less rewarding, jobs. Lombardy has its de-luxe resorts by the lakes, but they are mainly on the banks of the Lago di Como.
Verbano is the old name of the lake . It was used in Roman times, but its origins are probably celtic, as the name dates back to times before the arrival of Romans in this part of Italy. The name Verbano is still very much in use, for instance it identifies the province Verbano-Cusio-Ossola.
You will not find many aerial views among my pictures, so these ones are exceptions. The first shows the view of the lake from the top of mount Mottarone.
The second is from a much higher vantage point. I took it during a flight to Paris. I happened to be sitting in the right place when we flew over the Lago Maggiore, before flying across the Alps, and I had my camera close at hand. In this second picture the land around the lake is rather brown, because it was taken in February.
Cannobio is the most northern Italian town on the western bank of the lake, just a few kilometers from the Border with... more travel advice
Visitors should not forget that the Lago Maggiore is at the foot of the Alps, and in this region the weather is... more travel advice
Manara's Related Pages
Lago Maggiore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lago Maggiore"
- "Maggiore Memories"
- "Lago Maggiore and the Borromeo Islands"
- "Lago Maggiore"
- "LAGO MAGGIORE"
- "Big Blue Jewel in the Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago Maggiore
- Hotels in Lago Maggiore
- Transportation in Lago Maggiore
- Nightlife in Lago Maggiore
- Restaurants in Lago Maggiore
- Shopping in Lago Maggiore
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago Maggiore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago Maggiore
- 19 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Lago Maggiore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago Maggiore
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 36 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos
- Vienna Intro, 34 reviews, 41 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago Maggiore Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stresa Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Interlaken Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue