"A real parmigiana" Top 5 Page for this destination Parma by Manara

Parma Travel Guide: 254 reviews and 741 photos

Trust me when I write about Parma

I was born in Parma, and my family has been living here for generations. It is natural for me to love this place, but I often try to look at it as a visitor would. It is not easy, but it becomes a bit easier when I am coming back from a journey (which happens quite often) so I always find details I like and others I would like to change.

For those who want to visit Parma, these are two useful websites, both available in Italian and in English:
www.turismo.comune.parma.it
www.inparma.it.

A visitor from time past

"Parma has cheerful, stirring streets (...) excepted the retired piazza, where the Cathedral, Baptistery, and Campanile - ancient buildings, of a sombre brown, embellished with innumerable grotesque monsters and dreamy-looking creatures carved in marble and red stone - are clustered in a noble and magnificent repose. Their silent presence was only invaded, when I saw them, by the twittering of the many birds that were flying in and out of the crevices in the stones and little nooks in the architecture, where they had made their nests."

Charles Dickens, Pictures from Italy.

Some famous people from Parma

Although it is not a big city, Parma has a list of celebrities who were born here or within the province.

Among the living ones are movie director Bernardo Bertolucci, actor Franco Nero, novelists Alberto Bevilacqua and Luigi Malerba, thriller writer Carlo Lucarelli.

Among the dead ones Giuseppe Verdi, Arturo Toscanini, writer Giovannino Guareschi, poet Attilio Bertolucci (Bernardo's father), actor Lino Ventura.

• Pros:Arts, history, food, sports and culture
  • Cons:Horrible weather, by Italian standards
  • In a nutshell:Hardworking people who know how to enjoy life
  • Intro Updated May 24, 2013

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Thanks for sharing, great page, we are going to Parma soon!

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Looking at your Parma page makes me long to see it again. Your tips helped us to enjoy our time in Parma. Thanks, Randy

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Parma looks lovely. I'd love to visit one day. If I do, your hotel reviews are excellent. Greetings from Greece. Janet

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Thank you for your shopping tips :-) I made excellent use of the one about Coccinelle :-) Came, saw, fell in love and left with one :-) Sadly no time for the others, I would love to have visited the monks' shop. Next time :-)

• Jul 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Hello Manara! I loved your warm informative web site with those great commentaries. The pictures were wonderful and it is clear how you love Parma and why. Thank you for sharing and giving the viewers such an enjoyable experience. Susan

• Apr 8, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Thanks for the Excellent restaurant tips!! I remembered the dish "vecchia di cavallo" and ordered it. Are the diamond-shaped pieces of bread what you call "tortelli"? Everyone else was having them :-) Happy Birthday!!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Ciao-maybe someday we can get to this area and enjoy the lovely bello sites.

• ozalp's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2010 at 11:55 PM

It's good to know that we have members with good insider tips and reliable pages. Great page!

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 9:51 PM

You were the featured traveler when I logged in just now, and thought it would be nice to see what you had to say about your home city. Wonderful local information.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Superb Parma travel page with wonderful and lovely photographs. The Baptistery, the Duomo, San Giovanni and the palace certainly look interesting to visit and explore. We hope to visit Parma one day. ~ho & pang

Manara Lives Here!

Manara

“The world is my companion, not my judge”

Badges & Stats in Parma