"A real parmigiana" Top 5 Page for this destination Parma by Manara
Parma Travel Guide: 254 reviews and 741 photos
I was born in Parma, and my family has been living here for generations. It is natural for me to love this place, but I often try to look at it as a visitor would. It is not easy, but it becomes a bit easier when I am coming back from a journey (which happens quite often) so I always find details I like and others I would like to change.
For those who want to visit Parma, these are two useful websites, both available in Italian and in English:
"Parma has cheerful, stirring streets (...) excepted the retired piazza, where the Cathedral, Baptistery, and Campanile - ancient buildings, of a sombre brown, embellished with innumerable grotesque monsters and dreamy-looking creatures carved in marble and red stone - are clustered in a noble and magnificent repose. Their silent presence was only invaded, when I saw them, by the twittering of the many birds that were flying in and out of the crevices in the stones and little nooks in the architecture, where they had made their nests."
Charles Dickens, Pictures from Italy.
Although it is not a big city, Parma has a list of celebrities who were born here or within the province.
Among the living ones are movie director Bernardo Bertolucci, actor Franco Nero, novelists Alberto Bevilacqua and Luigi Malerba, thriller writer Carlo Lucarelli.
Among the dead ones Giuseppe Verdi, Arturo Toscanini, writer Giovannino Guareschi, poet Attilio Bertolucci (Bernardo's father), actor Lino Ventura.
- Pros:Arts, history, food, sports and culture
- Cons:Horrible weather, by Italian standards
- In a nutshell:Hardworking people who know how to enjoy life
The railway station is being totally rebuilt and the works are supposed to go on for years, so in the meantime there is... more travel advice
This is the hotel I use most often when I need to provide accommodation for business guests who come to Parma for... more travel advice
Manara's Related Pages
Parma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A real parmigiana"
- "Ham? Cheese? Violets?"
- "P A R M A"
- "Henrik's Parma page"
- "Parma - small clubs can still win big titles"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parma
- Hotels in Parma
- Transportation in Parma
- Nightlife in Parma
- Restaurants in Parma
- Shopping in Parma
- Warnings and Dangers in Parma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parma
- 36 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 83 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Parma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parma
Photos in ParmaSee All Photos (76)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 36 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 33 reviews, 48 photos
- Vienna Intro, 34 reviews, 41 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lago Maggiore Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stresa Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Interlaken Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Parma hotel reviews
- Hotel Stendhal
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Lazzaro Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2004
- Hotel Torino
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Hotel Palace Maria Luigia
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2013
- Palazzo Dalla Rosa Prati
- 168 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Forum Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Park Toscanini
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Starhotel du Parc Parma
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Hotel Parma And Congressi
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Hotel Verdi
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013