"A dedicated traveller" Manara's Profile

Places I have been to in the last twelve months

I travel quite often for work and sometimes I use for my holidays the knowledge I have got on business trips. If you are curious about my job, I work for an international medical association, and most of my time is devoted to planning and organising its large congresses, that are held in a different country every year. That's how I happen to know so many hotels.

With time I have become tired of packing and unpacking too often, so I now prefer holidays in which I stay in a place and make one-day trips in the region.

I am also a bit tired of hotels. They are great for a short stay, but for a longer holiday (one week or more) the privacy and the larger space of an apartment or a cottage is much better. It is essential, of course, to have a travel companion who is willing to share equally the house chores, but I am lucky with this regard.

I am not photogenic and I seldom see in a pic the same face I am used to see in a mirror, so I never liked being in front of a camera. Anyway you will find some pictures of me in some of my travel tips. I do not have many pictures of me in these pages, but I love the one I have posted here, and I am keeping it posted although now I wear my hair shorter. I love the fact that in this picture my double chin, although visible, does not hide my features, and moreover the sunglasses conveniently hide my under eye bags. A bit of light and a pair of glasses can really work miracles in hiding kilos and years!

My holidays

Among my pages the ones with more tips are those on locations I have visited many times, or the ones where I have been on holiday.
This summer I was on holiday in Interlaken, where I had been already in 2003, in 2006, and in 2010. I have done only a bit of updating on my Interlaken page, so if you go there please consider that the page is a work in progress.
I have visited or re-visited also other towns and villages in the surrounding area. So far I have posted pictures and tips about Gstaad, Brienz, Mürren and Grindelwald.

In addition to the pages I have posted about individual places I visited in the Alps, I have also put together old and new pictures and created a page about the Swiss Alps in general. According to the number of questions in the Travel Forum this area seems to be very popular, so I hope my tips can be useful.

In 2011 I have spent three-weeks in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, it was the third time I spent my summer holidays there, and like the other times I have made a trip to nearby Switzerland. This time I have visited the village of Bouveret.

Other recent trips

In 2011 I have returned to Lisbon and to Krakow, several years after my last visit, and I have been for the first time to Vancouver. I have posted just a few pictures of Vancouver, but I have not yet written any tips, nor added new ones to my Lisbon and Krakow pages, because I have been very busy due to moving home. I have not moved to another town, but a change of home is a complicate thing, especially if one has, like me, about two thousand books and needs shelves for them all.

Since I keep going back to cities I have already been to, I often update my pages and add tips to them. I have returned to Paris and to London, so I added a few tips, but I consider them as a work in progress, because I still have unused pictures and ideas for tips. I can say the same also about Prague, where I have returned in June 2011.

More about me

Some people say that the contents of a woman's bag can tell a lot about her personality. I am not sure, but I don't have a problem with disclosing the contents of my bag to you, in case it helps you to know me better. Here is the list of contents, from the centre in a clockwise spiral: mobile phone, wallet, mirror, lip balm, comb, calculator, keys, torchlight, diary, pen, folded shopping bag, handkerchief, tissues, mints, Swiss Army knife (the card-size type), sunglasses, cardholder.

• Intro Updated Apr 1, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Manara's Profile Photo

Manara

“The world is my companion, not my judge”

Real Name