"...The life and travels of MoirHolJ..." moirholj's Profile

Have (small) BackPack: Will Travel!

EUROPE for the holidays - ADVICE NEEDED!
I am currently scrambling to plan a December trip (this month!) to Europe that will include the Christmas holiday. (Dec 15 - Dec 30, 2011) The advice of fellow VTers is sorely needed! I am looking to visit Vienna, Prague, Budapest, and if it is not too ambitious, some locations in Germany. All the research I've done so far indicates that this area of Europe is a great way to spend the holiday season, so I am excited. However, personal tips from you are really what I rely on. Do you have special advice for this that you can share? Many Thanks in Advance! Moirholj (Holly)

Ecuador & Galapagos Islands adventure... CHECK!
For the Galapagos Islands, we traveled aboard The Samba , and I cannot say enough good things about the entire trip. When will I ever have time to update my pages?!?! Quito Ecuador was wonderful, and once again I have local friends to thank for a one-of-a-kind experience. A reminder to all the VTers - travel to visit someone who calls a place home and you will have the fullest experience!

Oh, India...
I am happy to report that my trip to India in 2009/2010 was a staggering success! What beautiful... shocking... amazing... bewildering... enlightening place in the world. That about sums it up, right? haha.
***Special thanks to VTers lynnehamman and Donna_in_India who gave me great information and advice in the forums as I planned my India adventure!***

And where to next....? I need your help!
For the first time in a long time I do not know what my next destination will be. This is likely due to the fact that what I *REALLY* want to do is quit my job, sell off most possessions, and make traveling my life for a year. Have you done this? What advice can you share?? I look forward to hearing the experiences of any and all VTers!

Backpack Attack ~
For now I leave you with a picture of the contents of my backpack for a 3 week trip abroad.

Nothing makes me feel freer than knowing I have everything I need in the world right there on my back! (Please note that I am always wearing one of those pairs of shoes, and not carrying 3 pair around!)

Cheers!!
~ MoirHolJ

A Travel Dream Finally Realized!!

In 1992 I was scheduled to embark on my the first international trip of my life... a two week trip to Germany! The highlight of which was to be a visit to Neuschwanstein Castle. A silly thing I'm sure, but I was obsessed with the 'fairy tale castle' and simply couldn't wait to go. The day before I was to board the plane the Dr. diagnosed me with 'Mono' and I was forbidden to travel, let alone get out of bed for 3 months. Trip to Germany: CANCELED!! I was devestated, and remained that way for years and years, just figuring I would never get the chance to visit Germany, let alone 'my' castle. Fast forward 16 Long Years and my better half planned a short 4 day trip for my very special birthday to Munich and Neuschwanstein. Wow... a travel dream realized. Where shall I set my sights now that I've completed my childhood travel dream??

Jersey Girl at Heart

Although I currently reside in Maryland I am originally from Union, New Jersey. A true Jersey Girl at heart, no matter where I go, NJ will always be where I am really 'from'.
And before you ask:
Yes, I had huge hair from 1988 - 1991.
Yes, I love watching "The Sopranos".
Yes, I claim to know someone who knows someone who went to High School with Bon Jovi.
And finally,
Yes, alot of the stereotypes about NJ are in fact true, BUT, there are beautiful parts of NJ that everyone seems to forget, and I encourage you to seek them out and break the cycle of Jersey hating!

As a sidenote, my hometown's claim to fame is that it houses the World's Tallest Watersphere... (no I'm not kidding, check out this link! or the most recent link complete with blog here!

Get Excited for Dayton Ohio

The first time I moved away from NJ was when I went away to college at the University of Dayton in Dayton Ohio.
GO FLYERS!

I love UD.

Dayton itself kind of pales in comparison to the other metropolitan areas in Ohio, like Cleveland and Cincinnati, as far as destination cities go. However, there is still plenty of fun stuff in the Dayton area to keep you busy! I get back to Dayton as often as I can to catch up with all of my friends - we always have a blast!

Welcome to BOSTON!

After Ohio it was off to live in Boston MA for two years. I fell in love with this city and getting to live there and explore every day left me feeling like I know the city inside and out. Just going out and exploring the city on foot (because WHY would you try to drive in Boston?!) was my all time favorite thing to do. It is my goal to someday move back to Boston because you would have to work hard to have a bad time there. There is certainly something for everyone in this big city with a hometown feel.

Washington DC (Well Maryland actually)

The great state of Maryland is where I am living these days and for those of you who don't know, it is right outside of DC. I moved here at the begining of 2004 and so far I've been having a great time. Although Rockville is almost totally urban sprawl it has the benefit of a great location. From my house I can be on the subway and in Washington DC within 15-20 min. On the other hand, a 15 - 20 min car trip towards Virginia leaves me driving along the rolling hills of Virginia wine country. It's all about location, and the location here is great!

Mmmmm... Beer.

Here I will insert a lengthy entry about my love of beer and my dream of tasting beers all over the world....but for now, a picture of a plastic flamingo drinking a Rolling Rock.

In the meantime I have started a VT album called
Beers I have loved Around the World Click and Enjoy! And then tell me where you have drunk your favorite beers so I can plan a trip to go there too!

• Intro Updated Jun 3, 2012

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
moirholj's Profile Photo

moirholj

“By a long shot, the best memento of any trip is personal change. (Franz Wisner)”

Location