"Ullapool" Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool by Bushman23

Ullapool Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 284 photos

The Place

Ullapool can be found on the West coast of Scotland, 55 miles north-West of Inverness. It isn't the biggest town in the world, nor the cutest, but there is an unexplainable atmosphere there that just sets your heart and soul at ease.

There are two "Main" streets, and about 20 shops in the whole place, which cater to tourists to a fair degree. Despite it's small size, there is a fair amount on offer, from golf, to trips on the Loch, hiking, and of course, drinking...

The People

These are honestly some of the friendliest people i have ever met in my life. I got on so well with them in my first season there, and when i returned for my second season, most of them remembered me by name, and were only too keen to buy me a drink.

I've now just completed my 5th season here, including one long winter... it's been fantastic, again. terrible weather this season though, to be honest! Haven't had to much opportunity to be outdoors at all, and most of the staff suffered from Cabin fever for a while... but we survived!

The Area

Being on the west coast, the weather isn't generally all that great, though there are periods (lasting weeks) where you can have glorious sunshine.

There are quite a few decently sized mountains within reach of Ullapool, as well as the Summer Isles, and the Isles of Skye & lewis. The ferry departs daily from the dock to the hebrides, and there are Summer Isles tours every morning.

Inverness is pretty easy to get to, as the road is in pretty good condition, and heading north is just as easy. The drive in both directions is also quite scenic.

I'll never forget my time in Ullapool, i lived there for a long time, and i want to thank the people who made this town my home away from home: Harry, Brigitte, Julie, Anne... and everyone else who i met while here. Thank you.

• Pros:Friendly, laid back atmosphere
  • Cons:Sometimes rubbish weather
  • In a nutshell:To see how a true Scotsman lives, come to Ullapool...
  • Last visit to Ullapool: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 13, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Thanks for your guidance, Anton! We have more relaxed rules in our bars. Nobody gets barred for life... ~ Take care ~

• F.Lade's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2008 at 12:19 PM

I spent a saturday evening/night there , enjoyed myself very much , and drunk a lot of whisky , all brands I never seen before . Also very fresh fish there , well prepared and tasty. Recomend the place.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 3:03 AM

Ullapool must have changed .Was there 1963 with a friend.Drove up the north coast, then to Ullapool,camped in a field, before going to Skye. An adventure for 2 girls in their early twenties in conservative Scotland. No photos taken though, unfortunately.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2004 at 2:53 PM

an interesting page ! Ullapool is a great place for a stop-over on the Westcoast of Scotland !

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2004 at 2:15 PM

Fabulous photos of this nice Scottish village. I have been to plenty of places in Scotland, but unfortunately never made it to Ullapool.

• Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2004 at 2:14 PM

Hi anton summer queen sounds great ..............ken

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2004 at 2:20 PM

Never heard of Ullapool but it sure looks like a nice place : ))

Bushman23 Works Here!

Bushman23

“"To the left there's a Bloody Big Bird!"”

Badges & Stats in Ullapool

Have you been to Ullapool?

Latest Activity in Ullapool